Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sun Unleashes 5 Major Flares

• Please log in to reply

Chachazz

Chachazz

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
By Robert Roy Britt, Senior Science Writer
posted: 09 September 2005 - 10:33 pm ET

"An ongoing series of major solar flares, including one late Friday, could disrupt communications on Earth and generate colorful sky shows for people at high northern latitudes over the weekend.

Even more serious effects are possible next week.

The spate of activity from the Sun is being generated by a large sunspot named 798. Sunspots are cooler and darker regions of pent-up magnetic activity. When they unleash their energy, it's a bit like the top coming off a shaken champagne bottle.

Solar flares send radiation to Earth in about 8 minutes. Hours later, clouds of charged particles can engulf the planet. If the magnetic field of a storm is oriented in a certain way in relation to our planet's protective magnetic field, gaps are created and radiation leaks to the planet's surface, potentially threatening astronauts aboard the International Space Station, sometimes shorting out satellites, and even causing terrestrial power grids to trip.

Solar activity is at "very high levels," according to NOAA's Space Environment Center (SEC).

There have been five major flares in recent days,...."

«Space.com»

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hmm interesting. I would like to see what it makes the sky look like. Unfortunately its cloudy and raining tonight :tazz:

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Interesting

I lost dsl connectivity for about 24 hours starting thursday afternoon.

Good thing I had an emergency backup dialup account for my GTG fix.

EMCguy