Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SHURE Microphone

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
The amount of people on this forum who can help me with this might be limited, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've been into recording instrumental music for a few years, and have been using a built-in microphone on my Dell Inspiron 8200. For a while I have wanted to use an external microphone, and the only one I have is a SHURE SM57, which connects to the sound card, not by USB (which would be much easier).

I plug the microphone into the sound card jack, but I can't find any way to make it pick up sound. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks as a recording software, and when I go to the menu for recording devices, I can't get my SHURE microphone to show up as an available device.

Anyone have any idea how I can get the mic to record?

Thanks in advance, and please respond ASAP. My current built-in has stopped working, I was planning on recording a tribute to 9/11.

Advertisements

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hi, I'm Freddie.

Make sure all it's drivers are installed and updated to the latest versions. (If it has any). Also, make sure that your computer detects it.

Freddie

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Well thats one of the problems. I never really dealt with sound card microphones before, and don't know how to get the computer to detect it.

The only thing that comes with the microphone is the manual (which I have looked over), a few papers advertising other mics, and extra plug types that you can connect to the end of the cable. There is no other software to install.

When I plug the mic in, absolutly nothing happens. No sound or pop-ups occur. I'm assuming my computer isn't detecting it? If not, what am I missing?

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Try the following:

Start, Control Panel, Printers and other Harware.

In the top left corner, there is an option allowing you to "Add new hardware". Click on that.

A wizard will appear which should detect the microphone if it is plugged in correctly.

Freddie

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I've tried what you suggested, but it just doesn't seem to be picking up the device. Is there anything else you have in mind? Is it possible that it's just the microphone itself?

Thanks again