Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS OFFICE

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Heres my scenario:

I Have a Digital Camera with Docking Bay connected Via USB and also a Digital Audio Player connected via USB. These devices have worked correctly and have not caused any error messages to appear for the last 8 months or so.

Yesterday I installed Microsoft Office 2002 (includes word, excel, access, powerpoint, and publisher). Since I have installed office... if my camera or my MP3 player is not connected to the USB cable then when i start up windows i get this error message:

"Local network device not found"

it only gives me the option of hitting "OK". when i do hit "OK" it gives me the same error message again... and will continue to d this until i plug in both devices (they do not have to be powerd on - just pplugged in)...

What this means to me is that i have to leave my MP3 player at home when i goto work, so my wife doesn't have to deal with this error message.... NO TUNES ON THE GO ! ! !

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What version of Windows are you using?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Well, if your profile is up to date, you are using XP SP2 correct??

If that is the case, boot the system leaving the USB devices unplugged..

after to clear the message, click on the "Network Places" icon (either on your desktop or in Start).. Now, see if that "network device" is showing there..

If it is, right click on it and select "Disable".. Apply and okay out..

Murray

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I can read honest! :tazz: (just didn't this time hehe)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I can read honest! :tazz: (just didn't this time hehe)

View Post

I normally forget to look over there most of the time.. :) Your post reminded me!!

Murray

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
They are not showing up as network devices.. the only place i can see them (when the usb devices are not hooked up is directly under my computer... MP3 player shows up as drive E and camera dock as drive f.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Hook them up.. do they show as network drives now??

Murray

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
No Sir... I am now able to actually double click and open them and see what pictures or music is stored on them (from the my computer screen)