Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer problem

• Please log in to reply

Nuks

Nuks

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I installed iTunes 5.0, but when I try to open it, I get this message, "Quicktime version 6.5 is installed, iTune requires verion 7.0 or later." It has only opened once so far (in two days of trying). However, this is strange, because I still get it even after deleting all version of quicktime from my computer.

So I start to install quicktime 7 and about halfway through I get this message, "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install could not be run. Contact your support personal or package vendor," followed by this message, "Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

So I try to download a new Windows installer, and it installs fine, but I get the same message when I try to install quicktime again.

Any help?
Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you run all the windows updates from the windows update website? If you haven't, then do so, because it installs windows installer 3.1 there which is needed.

Edited by Fenor, 10 September 2005 - 03:32 PM.

Nuks

Nuks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I downloaded the windows installer like you said, but Quicktime still won't work.

EDIT: Alright, I got it! It all had to do with a recurring problem that was a popup saying that rundll32 wasn't working or missing or something. Anyway, it's been like that for a looooong time, and it's made me unable to do alot on this computer. I tried to repair it a while ago, but to no avail. But today I was like "Maybe it's not even there", so I donwloaded it and sure enough, everything that had been broken before worked again. I installed quicktime again, and it finished, no problems. This is SUPER good news, because I was planning on formatting my computer, and lose an awful lot of important stuff.

You set me on the right path, Fenor. Thanks so much!

Edited by Nuks, 10 September 2005 - 06:20 PM.