Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Server Hibernates by itself!

• Please log in to reply

aissa05

aissa05

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, first off thanks for any help you can provide in advance. I have a HP Pavilon 752n (01/02) that I use as a gaming server on my home network. A few days ago, after 5 months of use, my server went into what appears to be standby/hibernation mode on its own. I have double checked the settings and the enable hibernation mode is not active. At first I thought I had been hacked since stupid me never put a password on the bios. When I tried to get into the bios I found I was unable to do so using the F1 key. I reloaded the operating system in an attempt to start fresh, enter the bios, and correct any obvious problem. I was unable to access the system setup screen but the server worked for 7 hours before it went into standby/hibernation mode again. I took out the battery on the motherboard to clear the bios settings and try to get in it that way. While the cover was off, I noticed that there was a crusty substance on some transistors (bout 6) near the heat sink. I wiped them off and placed the battery back into the MB. I restarted the computer and tried F1 to enter setup. I might add that I cannot get into setup unless the battery is removed first. After a few tries I got in and made some minor changes including a tough 8 digit password. I saved changes and restarted the machine. At first the machine would run fine for an hour or so but it has begun to hibernate/standby sooner to the point it turns off when either I switch computers via a KVM switch or when the computer idles after using it. The mouse and keyboard will not bring it out of that mode so I must power off and restart then the same vicious cycle repeats itself. The computer will go into safe mode but in reg mode it goes into standby. I am not sure what the problem is. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated since I am lost at this point.
Not sure if I have a hardware problem or if the bios is bad, can you help?

Thanks Aissa

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Question: how do you know that it's going into standby/hibernate? Are you sure that it's just not switching off?

aissa05

aissa05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wow, that was quick. Well there are two lights on the face of the computer. The green light indicates it is on. The yellow light below indicates hibernation/standby mode. When there are no lights, it is off. The yellow light is what is lit when the situation occurs. There is the hum of the computer that accompanys the occurance as though the computer wants or is trying to come out of hibernation/standby mode but nothing happens when the keyboard or mouse is utilized even though the settings are set for the mouse and keyboard to wake the system out of hibernation/standyby mode. Do you need any additional information? Thanks :0)
Aissa

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
So your standby/hibernate mode is set in the BIOS, or am I misinterpreting that...

aissa05

aissa05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I thought it was but I was wrong. Only power disruption settings. The hibernate settings are in control panel/power options.

aissa05

aissa05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I thought it may be in the bios (I am not that familiar with that aspect of a comp) so I wanted to at least check it out. That when I realized I could not get in at all using F1. I figured I was hacked. After reseting the bios and got in, I realized that I have a bigger problem that I thought. Reading your forum help me to kill the Aurora virus I caught on my comp so I wanted to see if you could help me with this matter.

aissa05

aissa05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The computer goes into standby hinbernation mode on its own afer a few minutes of use. All the settings are set to "Always On" not hibernate or standby at all and nothing is set to turn off, but the machine does it anyway. Once it goes into standby mode, the computer will not come out of standby mode. The power switch has to be pressed to turn it off and the computer is restarted that way. The OS has been reloaded and the bios has been cleared. Why is it doing this? I need help or direction. Is this an issue related to a bad motherboard, bad harddrive, a bios, or a memory problem? The computer is a few years old. Intel i845 chipset, Pentium 4 2.0 processor, 1 gig ram (Centon PC2700 DDR333) I hope this additional information helps. :0)

:tazz: