Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics device driver

• Please log in to reply

doughball

doughball

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Everyone

I hope u can help me I am being driven mad!

I have recently started playing an on-line game (Biosfear). Pretty regularly the computer crashes and I get the error message

STOP 0x000000EA Thread stuck in device Driver (Q2393078)

When the computer tries to restart it invariably crashes again and goes into a cycle of restarts and crashes. I have to switch off the power to get it to stop. I then get the cmos checksum message ( which I saw somewhere else on your site - at least I know what that means now :tazz: )

I downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA and I'm certain I have correctly installed it. I'm not sure If I have correctly uninstalled previous versions though.

I would be really grateful for any advice anyone can give - as i said this is driving me crazy

Thanks

Doughball

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Doughball, welcome to GTG. Please try this utility to completely remove all traces of previous video drivers from your system. Then reboot and install the latest nVidia drive.

doughball

doughball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for this i'll try this shortly and let u know what happens. Sorry for posting in wrong area. I really am the original newbe LoL

doughball

doughball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for this i'll try this shortly and let u know what happens. Sorry for posting in wrong area. I really am the original newbe LoL

View Post

Mmmmh! Ok I have uninstalled the drivers. However, Still crashing.

I found that there were other drivers installed elswhere on the machine it must have been me :tazz: . I have uninstalled some of them. But i wanted to check about some others. I found a file in C:\drivers\motherboard\nvidia\nforce which seems to contain audio and display drivers - should I delete the display driver folder? Aslo i found another folder c:\sysprep\nvidia\personal _cinema which seems to contain uninstalled drivers for somthing.should I leave it alone?

Thanks for your help so far ;)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Other nVidia drivers shouldn't cause any problem. I'd be concerned with drivers from other companies.

Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide. Also see this post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

doughball

doughball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi GTG

I think the problem may be with me! LoL I followed the instructions again and this time the drivers definately uninstalled. When i tried to reinstall the previuos time i couldn't install - I guess thats because I had not properly uninstalled te drivers. Anyway, I followed the instructions, downloaded latest driver and installed that. I went on-line last night and played the game with the display set to its highest resolution. Previuosly I had had to turn it down a notch. It seems to be far more stable and did not crash once. I will go on-line today to give it a good test and report back. If it crashes I'll do the HJT log thing and post in the other forum. Thank you so much for your help so far. I did't cry once last night or tear any hair out :tazz:

Doughball

doughball

doughball

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi GTG

I have used the HJT tool I'll post in the HJT forum. thanks for your help so far. :tazz: