Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How did You Get Interested ?

• Please log in to reply

Down With Malware!

Down With Malware!

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I got infected so many times in the past and the hate just grew, finally i said down with all malware! Malware destroyed my laptop, it again and again crashed my computer. (now I am computer smart) I hate the viruses, worms, Trojan, spyware, and just all malware in general. I looked at how people helped on here and I decided that I want to help and fight back.

Advertisements

DefCon2

DefCon2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It all started about 7 years ago when I got my first virus, MAN was I devastated... I thought to myself "How could this possibly happen? What did I do wrong?". This of course was previous to my knowledge of Drive-By-Downloads...

After that initial "Oh my god!!!" Reaction, I began to break it down, and decide how to fix this (Google is your friend kids!) Then every day and every infection I would become more and more tech savvy!

Now adays, I'm running a virtual computer with XP home edition on it and infecting myself to learn more about these ever-evolving viruses. :)

But now I'm looking into it more as a job of sorts, might as well get paid doing what I love right?! :) :)

billyplatt

billyplatt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Just over ten years ago, I jumped from an all Mac system to run my current Windows environment. I started perhaps 8 or 9 years ago with the emergence of a new trend called web bugs, or beacons. It was mostly divided into advertising tracking mechanisms and script kiddies looking to do some damage.

As a service to my fellow employees, I began offering that if they got infected, I would clean their machine for free. This served two purposes. The first was to help keep my co-workers computer operating and clean, and the second was it provided me with an endless number of research subjects, where I could learn about each type of infection, discover and try new evolving tools, learn more about the registry mods that enhanced their attack, and in general, see the newest threats AS THEY ENTERED the market.

Sometimes, when a bad guy was particularly sneaky, it might take me a while to figure out how to undo them, and sometimes, the patients would line up in my office. I assured them all that I was free, but not fast. If they liked, they could take it to a business for faster service, but I was more interested in what happened, what was changed, and how to undo it whenever possible. In return for their patience, I would research, scour the internet, try different tools, and learn as much as I could. Once I figured out a nasty infection, I could apply what I had learned to the others waiting.

I learned early on that infections seem to follow patterns. When a new technique was discovered, it's use spread, and often a new cleaning strategy needed to be applied to fix it. It seemed that most infections that followed for a while were always following the pattern of the first.

In my estimation, approaching my workforce as my lab/honey pot seemed to have served me well.

Scouring the internet has usually led me into sites like this, where a particular fix was learned of and I am grateful for sites like this, as they have saved me some time.

I personally have only encountered an attack once, and that while visiting Facebook several years ago. A banner ad was poisoned and tried to load a rouge antimalware, but using a script blocking browser enabled me to avoid infection. That's it, in ten years of using windows, that is the closest I have come to personally being infected. I attribute it to good surfing habits, targeted web surfing, and a cautious eye.

dgrahamsr

dgrahamsr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
by reading about them

Jon D

Jon D

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry I'm so nervous I can't even spell an elementary word. I got intersted because although I purchased a computer. I had no idea at all how, what, where I was going with it. Since I am truly computer du-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-umb.

nuriko_1888

nuriko_1888

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Heya all.

I got interested because well, I've been always interested in malware and such. It wasn't until last year that I found out that one could actually learn about malware in such detail and help the community to fight malware.