Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Mcafee - Error in msvcrt.dll

• Please log in to reply

lizzeydripping

lizzeydripping

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
:tazz: Hi guys!

May be in the wrong forum here - if so apologies! Hope someone can give me a bit of guidance on this one.

My parents in law have an old PC running Windows ME and AOL. Through work my other half is allowed to distribute copies of Mcafee, fully licensed and legally, to friends and family as part of a deal they offer.

We have the Mcafee installation disk, but when we try and run setup.exe we get a message saying that an error has been generated in msvcrt.dll and so the setup cannot be run.

Basic research has indicated that AOL probably modified msvcrt.dll when installed and this may be causing the problem, but I don't know how to fix it!

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Advertisements

Dave M.

Dave M.

• Pip
  • 8 posts
msvcrt.dll is a system file, so you will have to replace the file if you want to install the software. You are probably right about the AOL modification.

In the future, install the security software prior to installing the ISP. This can assure that your system files are safe, and it gives you protection before you ever even surf the web.

I hope ive been helpful to you

lizzeydripping

lizzeydripping

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for that Dave, that's great!

I'll give it a try.