Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory increas from 512M to 1G

• Please log in to reply

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I want to increas my present 512MB to 1GB of RAM.

I opened my computer and it has four slots with (say from left to right) a 256 M RAM module in slot 1 (slot 2 empty) and another 256MB RAM module in slot 3 (slot 4).

My question is can I buy a single 512MB module and put it in any slot or do I need two 256MB RAM modules?

Of course I wil match the 333MHz speed. Anything else to consider. There's a deal on Kingston modules that I'd like to purchase. Any additionasl advice is well appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can but its often just as easy to get two 512mb modules especially if your motherboard supports dual channels.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
im with scot. Best to have two x 512 if u can afford it.

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

If I decide to go with adding the one 512MB RAM (to save a few $) can I put it in any free slot? Or do I need to relocate the two 256MB RAM modules so thet are sequential and then the 512MB module?

Is this plug & play or do I have to make adjustments anywhere?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
it should be fine to smack it in anywhere, and itll update itself, cept your pc might slow down because you are using more ram slots

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm a bit confused. I though adding more RAM will speed things up, like when I coonect to a server during on-line gaming and running newer games. Plus my HD is 75% full so I read that it helps to have more RAM as the HD fills up.

Thanks for your input..

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Based on your posts, I would be checking your motherboard manual in order to determine how to install the ram..

It is very possible it MUST be installed in pairs with one pair populating the 1st and 3rd slots and the second populating the 2nd and fourth..

In quick check would be to simply pull one of the existing ram and see if the system works !!

Murray

Deep Purple

Deep Purple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for your reply Murray, you sparked a memory (in my head).

I must be too worried about my malware problem (another post) to be thinking straight. I dug up the DELL 4600 owners manual and there it is in b&W, "DDR memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size".

So it seems I either get 2 x 256Mb or replace my existing (256Mb) pair with 2x 512 Mb as warriorscot stated.

You were also correct on where to place the memory, the manual also says to install them in pairs in slot 1 & 3 and/or slots 2 & 4.

Thanks guys. I'll go and get 2 x 256Mb DDR SDRAM .

Issue Closed.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Glad we were able to help !! :tazz:

Murray