Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't Restart

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I recently installed (and reinstalled) Windows98 onto a machine, and it won't restart. It's critical because I need to restart to change my resolution and color settings. I'm stuck at 16 colors with a 480x640 resolution, which gives me a major headache =).

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Seven!...

Your post is a little vague. By restart, do you mean reboot the machine? Are you able to boot into "Normal Mode"? Have you installed all of your drivers" There are a lot of variables that cause a machine to run at low resolutions...please post back with a little more specific information on what you have done and are trying to do. Thanks.

wannabe1

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you go into the Settings area and click on the "Advanced" button.. There is an option to "Apply the new display settings WITHOUT rebooting".. Check that, apply and okay out..

Now try adjusting.. If they still won't stick, then you will have to re-install the drivers for your vide card!!

Murray

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I can't find drivers for the nVidia Vanta. If you know where I can get the most recently updated drivers, I'd be grateful.

When I go to Start -> Shut Down -> Restart/Shut Down, all the programs close and it just sits.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try the nVidia website !! :tazz:

Win98 or 98SE??

Murray

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
It's Windows 98, not SE.

The nVidia website doesn't have drivers for the nVidia Vanta - unless I'm supposed to download TNT/Riva/Quadro drivers.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
As per nVidia:

Question:
What driver should I use for my NVIDIA Vanta product?

Answer:
You should always begin with the driver provided by the add-in card or OEM of your product for maximum performance. However, NVIDIA does provide updated reference drivers ("Detonator" drivers) on this web site.

Also, you could try your mobo or system manufacturers website for the latest drivers..

Murray

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
All of the parts are ancient. I purchased the video card at a local trade center, and parts come 'as is' with no software. Thirty bucks for a stick of 128mb pc-100 and the video card, but the video card so far has been useless.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then, do as nVidia says and use the Detonator drivers!!

Murray

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Sorry, I'm being unclear(which I do often =/). I can't restart - and every time I attempt to change the settings(like resolution or colour depth), it asks me to restart. Therein lies the issue.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Seven!...

Refer to post #3...

wannabe1

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
That option didn't help - at this point I formatted and recreated my partition. I'll reinstall Win98 later(and I bought SE).