Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ME crashing/hanging restart

• Please log in to reply

notjustagirl

notjustagirl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

Had some trouble with virus & spyware so ran Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG anti-virus, CWShredder, and a few others. I did NOT run Hijack This yet - as was hoping problem was cleared by the above. I reinstalled Windows ME over previous version, system is a bit stabler now. I'm still getting OE (various, but mainly OE 016F BFF8E64B), errors caused in KRNL386.exe and errors caused in KERNEL32.DLL (including general protection and invalid page faults). The trouble seems to occur especially when I try to run/install new programs, like windows updates, spyblaster, etc... Once the error messages occur my computer freezes and I have to use System Restore as it then refuses to start normally (hanging or blue screen) and won't start properly in SafeMode either (taskbar disappears). Have looked through other threads and such but am REALLY out of my league here. Any help would be greatly appreciated :tazz:)

Should I try Hijack This! (if I can get it to download and install?) and post it under Malware. Thanks,

-Jenn

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One question is did you do a clean installation or did you just reinstall to save your files and programs?

notjustagirl

notjustagirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, not a clean install - reinstalled over old. Think I should uninstall and reinstall? I didn't initially b/c I hadn't backed up some files yet, and thought there was a greater risk of losing everything with a clean install.

Baho

Baho

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Was this on a Hewlett-Packard laptop?