Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me get rid of SPYWARE! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

hellifiknow

hellifiknow

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, I've posted one topic about this subject already, without a response, although i recently had thought I had taken care of the problem, but it turns out i havent...

I have a fake window pop up, and I know it's fake because whoever wrote the program mis-spelled the word balloon..."baloon"

I've run all sorts of scans and antivirus programs, and for sometime last night, thought i had solved the problem after running ewido security suite...but unfortunately it did not... :tazz:

Heres my newest hijack this log, please can someone help me out this time....pretty pleeeaasse, I would be so very thankful.

Again this is the pop up i am recieving...

"Your computer might be at risk. Your virus protection status is bad. Spyware activity detected. Click this baloon to fix this problem."

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:30:33 PM, on 9/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Secretmaker\secretmaker.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.c.../search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.c...//www.yahoo.com
O1 - Hosts: localhost 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: SECRETMAKER.lnk = C:\Program Files\Secretmaker\secretmaker.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1125829473953
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

Advertisements

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi hellifiknow, welcome to GeeksToGo.

You may want to print out these instructions for reference, since you will have to restart your computer during the fix.

Please download FixWareout from one of these sites:
http://forums.subrat...e=post&id=43811
http://swandog46.gee.../Fixwareout.exe

Save it to your desktop and run it. Click Next, then Install, then make sure "Run fixit" is checked and click "Finish". The fix will begin; follow the prompts. You will be asked to reboot your computer; please do so. Your system may take longer than usual to load; this is normal.

When your system reboots, follow the prompts. Afterwards, HijackThis will launch. Please click Scan, and check the following items:

O1 - Hosts: localhost 127.0.0.1
If you didn't set these restrictions yourself then have hijackthis fix the below entries as well.
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

Click "Fix Checked". Close HijackThis, and click OK to proceed.

At the end of the fix, you may need to restart your computer again.

Finally, please post the contents of the logfile C:\fixwareout\report.txt, along with a new HijackThis log.

hellifiknow

hellifiknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I downloaded and installed the fixwareout program, but when i go to run the program I get this message....

"Download is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Unzip: cannot find either bfu.zip or bfu.zip.zip
BFU.exe was not present, unpacked or in the proper location.
Please make sure you have a working internet connection to download BFU.exe, and restart the batch. Press any key to continue..."

Also upon the initial attempt to start the program...by pressing a button. I get this warning from my AVG Virus Guard...

"VIRUS DETECTED! While opening C:\Fixwarout\Sub\download.exe"
Trojan Horse Downloader.Delf.CS"

Did I do something wrong with the program? I've searched for a BFU.exe file, and cannot find one..?

Thank you in advance for your time

Edited by hellifiknow, 15 September 2005 - 06:31 PM.

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi hellifiknow,

I am very sorry to not mention that you must have an active Internet connection when running this fix, in order to download the Brute Force Uninstaller (BFU) from Merijn's page. I'm sorry about that.

About the virus warning, you can just turn off your Antivirus Guard while you run the fix (it is not a virus so just let it run).

hellifiknow

hellifiknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Emilita,

Thanks for the response although, I have yet to actually get the automatic download to work, I am on a cable connection and still unable to get the file to auto download, so this is what I did. I looked up the Merijn Page, and found the BFU.exe file, and downloaded it...When I ran that file it asked which script to run, and I assumed it meant the "XP-2k2.bfu" file in the fixwareout/sub folder, so I ran that script with BFU and that seemed to work.

Heres the fixwareout log, I'll just copy and paste the whole thing:

»»»»» Search by size and names...
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DMFNQ.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Help\SPAlert.chm

»»»»» Misc files

»»»»» Checking for older varients covered by the Rem3 tool

Heres the new HiJackThis Log as well:

Scan saved at 7:55:26 AM, on 9/16/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.c.../search/ie.html
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IeHelper Class - {A491D208-B353-490F-B81A-A8A3DC97042D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\smiehlp.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dmfnq.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmfnq.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SECRETMAKER.lnk = C:\Program Files\Secretmaker\secretmaker.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplane...DC_1_0_0_44.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1125829473953
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

I hope this helps, thanks Emilita.

-hellifiknow-

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi hellifiknow,
Well done on making the tool worked.

* Please download the Killbox by Option^Explicit.
* Save it to your desktop.
* Run Killbox.exe.
* Select "Delete on Reboot".
* Copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting both of them then press CTRL + C

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DMFNQ.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Help\SPAlert.chm

* Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
(Make sure that no other files are being pasted)
* Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

I see you already have Ewido, if you can still get update for it please download updates and scan your system with Ewido in Safe Mode.
Then post the Ewido log as well as the new Hijackthis log please. Also give me updates of how your pc is going thanks.

hellifiknow

hellifiknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Emilita,

Here are the two new logs:

Ewido:

+ Created on: 8:17:34 PM, 9/18/2005
+ Report-Checksum: C32859DB

+ Scan result:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmelq.exe -> Trojan.Ysearch : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

HiJackThis:

Scan saved at 3:34:19 AM, on 9/19/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe

O2 - BHO: IeHelper Class - {A491D208-B353-490F-B81A-A8A3DC97042D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\smiehlp.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Camfrog] "C:\Program Files\Camfrog\Camfrog Video Chat 3.4\CamfrogNet.exe" 0 C:\Program Files\Camfrog\Camfrog Video Chat 3.4\Camfrog Video Chat.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplane...DC_1_0_0_44.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE (file missing)

Thanks Em, Oh and just to let you know I haven't seen the pop up now for a while, so maybe we got em :tazz:

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts

Thanks Em, Oh and just to let you know I haven't seen the pop up now for a while, so maybe we got em 

Hi hellifiknow,
Your Hijackthis log looks clean!
You did a good job :tazz:

To help protect your computer in the future I recommend the following free programs:
SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute.

You have Ewido Suite and AVG there, you don't really need both to protect you, you can just keep one and keep it updated.

It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft.
To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

Regularly running your AdAware and Spybot and make sure you check for updates and download updates before scanning.
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy

And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place?
and Spyware Aid's spyware article:
Spyware, Adware, Malware:
What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.

Happy computing! :)

hellifiknow

hellifiknow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Emilita,

Thanks Bunches for your help!!! :tazz: :)

Happy Computing to you as well :)

-hellifiknow :) -

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
hellifiknow,

You're welcome!

Glad I could help :tazz:

Emilita

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.