Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formatting xp pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

noahdabear

noahdabear

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi, i am tryig to wipe my computer clean as i have a tiny 20 gig harddrive which is full
now i tried using the disc setup but it wont allow me to delete partition , it says its needed for setup, i am booting from disc.

so, is there another easy way to do this ?

thank you

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Are you choosing to delete the partition or to format it?

noahdabear

noahdabear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anything to get rid of everything on there . i would like to start again with a fresh system but cant afford to buy one

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Well to my knowledge you should be able to do that by booting from the Windows XP disk, and choosing to format the partition, and then choosing to install a fresh copy of windows. Tell me if you tried this.

noahdabear

noahdabear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep tried that it just says it cant comply with order as it needs the c drive for setup

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
noahdabear...

If this is a Retail Installation CD, put the disk in the drive and reboot. At the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" press a key.

The next screen will prompt you "To set up Windows now, Press Enter"...Press "Enter"..Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement...The next screen asks you if you if you want to repair the current installation...Press "Esc"

All the existing partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press "D" to delete an existing partition, or press "C" to create a new partition by using unpartitioned space. If you press "D" to delete an existing partition, you must then press "L" (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this step for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, select the remaining unpartitioned space, and then press "C" to create the new partition.

Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press "ENTER", or just press "ENTER" to create the partition with the maximum size.

If you want to install Windows XP, use the ARROW keys to select the partition where you want to install Windows XP, and then press "ENTER".

Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press "ENTER".

After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue. After the Windows Setup program is completed, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format more partitions.

wannabe1

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You need to make sure the first boot device in BIOS (setup) is set for the cd-rom in order to do what wannabe1 stated..

It should work then as long as you are using an original XP cd.. If it is a copy you or someone made for you, then the setup is entirely different..

Murray

noahdabear

noahdabear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i have tried all that it wont accept it
and it wont let me make a new one

i am running privacy suite at the moment see if that will give me more room

as far as i know its the original , i got it with my computer

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Does it say Microsoft XP with all the neat holographics, etc on the hdd??

If it does, then as long as the first boot device is set to the cd-rom, it should..

The only ones that I know of that won't are downloaded ones or ones that have been copied from an original..

Murray

noahdabear

noahdabear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no it has none of the holographics on it , but i got it when i bought it the tech loaded it on for me and gave me this disk .

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Took the words right out of my fingers....Thanks Murry S... :tazz:

wannabe1

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

no it has none of the holographics on it , but i got it when i bought it the tech loaded it on for me and gave me this disk .

View Post

You must know the difference between a commercial cd and one that has been burnt.. From the sounds of things, you are probably running a pirated/illegal copy of XP..

This may have been done without your knowledge but that doesn't absolve us from continuing support due to the sites ToS..

Suggest you get ahold of your tech and advise them you either want a legal copy or you will be reporting him to Microsoft for providing pirated software..

When and if you get a legal copy, Wannabe1's advise will work and we can begin anew.. Just PM me and I will re-open the thread..

Until then, I am going to have to close this thread.. Sorry..

Murray