Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Programs and general advice

• Please log in to reply

Gibbs1

Gibbs1

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just restarted up my familys old computer and found a bunch of junk on it that we dont need any more.
I went in to try to remove it but alot of it said that it required a CD to be removed (like old games and things of that nature). Is there a way to get around that and remove them anyways?

Also, what else should I do to this computer to get it working its best? It hasnt really been used since 99 or so, maybe before that even.

The computer is a Compaq Presario 4716 with an Intel pentium processor with 88MB of RAM. I dont know if you need to know this stuff but it has 82% free system resources, 32 bit file systems, 32 bit virtual memory, no disk compression installed and no PC Cards(PCMCIA) sockets installed.

Thanks for your help! :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Gibbs1...Welcome to G2G!

For program removal, if they aren't in the Add/Remove program list in the Control panel or if they haven't got their own uninstall engine (usually listed with the program in the start menu) then they are pretty tough to remove.

To get it running as good as possible, there are a few tools you can run on it in System Tools...Click Start point to Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and start with Scandisk...then run Disk Cleanup...then Disk Defragmenter.

See how your system runs after doing these and let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I had an older machine that had a lot of games installed and they all needed the disk to uninstall them. I ended up reinstalling windows uisng the original product key since I couldn't uninstall them.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Same idea but be very careful if you reinstall windows 95 a freash because a lot of drivers are very old and hard to find, plus microsoft may no longer offer the support pack for lets say Japanese, if you have the drivers, and the like then reformating is the simplest way to revamp the computer.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
If you're intending to use this old machine regularly, I would update your hardware as well. If you plan to keep Win95 on it, then don't worry about the processor, but look around at some trade centers and such for RAM. To find out what type of hardware you have, I would download this program: http://www.cpuid.org...d/cpu-z-130.zip - It doesn't require installation. Run the program and find out what type of RAM you have(Open it, click on the Memory tab). You'll see something like PC-100 or PC-133. It will also give you the size of the RAM, such as 32, 64, or 128.

If you can open up your computer case, look where the memory is in the motherboard. You'll see a couple slots (hopefully three or four) like this: If you're intending to use this old machine regularly, I would update your hardware as well. If you plan to keep Win95 on it, then don't worry about the processor, but look around at some trade centers and such for RAM. To find out what type of hardware you have, I would download this program: http://www.cpuid.org...d/cpu-z-130.zip - It doesn't require installation. Run the program and find out what type of RAM you have(Open it, click on the Memory tab). You'll see something like PC-100 or PC-133. It will also give you the size of the RAM, such as 32, 64, or 128. If you can open up your computer case, look where the memory is in the motherboard. You'll see a couple slots (hopefully three or four) like this: http://th03acc0158.s...ges/ramslot.jpg That's your RAM right there. If you remove it, pull from the center after the side clips are released.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have no choice but to remove the programs "by hand" then you will have to go into the registry and remove some keys, but you have to be very careful in the registry.