Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing old Operating system

• Please log in to reply

Pedhimself

Pedhimself

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Recently i have been trying to tweak or pc at home and as they say a little knowledge is worse than no knowledge...... Well after having tried putting yet another hard drive onto the system windows 2k would not boot up at all and a dll file for this to work had been wiped somehow. Well the pc is used by family members for business aswell as personal usage so this problem had to be sorted, Quickly. So (not having an original copy of 2k, only a cracked version) I purchased Xp to sort the problem. I installed Xp and its fine now but now i have 2 operating systems. I wanna erase all evidence of 2k now, can someone advise me on what to do with out erasing all useful/wanted files now shared by both systems.

2k still does not work.

Thanks Pete

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Are your 2 operating systems on different partitions?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Pedhimself

Pedhimself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Recently i have been trying to tweak or pc at home and as they say a little knowledge is worse than no knowledge...... Well after having tried putting yet another hard drive onto the system windows 2k would not boot up at all and a dll file for this to work had been wiped somehow.  Well the pc is used by family members for business aswell as personal usage so this problem had to be sorted, Quickly. So (not having an original copy of 2k, only a cracked version) I purchased Xp to sort the problem. I installed Xp and its fine now but now i have 2 operating systems.  I wanna erase all evidence of 2k now, can someone advise me on what to do with out erasing all useful/wanted files now shared by both systems.

2k still does not work.

Thanks Pete

View Post

Pedhimself

Pedhimself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes they are on different partitions, i think.

Pete

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well that's the first thing you need to find out. If so then you can just format that partition with Win 2000 on it or delete the patition entirely. I'm assuming you have only 1 hard drive correct? Go to "My Computer" and under "Hard Disk Drives" tell me what it says. If you have more than one partition, then it will show up like you have 2 hard drives. Then we can move onto the next step.

Pedhimself

Pedhimself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have 2 hard drives i use anyway. They show up aswell as 2 other local disc's (these could be things i have plugged in but i dont think they are as they need formatting).

I have Hard Drive C & D as the ones with files on. F & G are the ones that need formatting and appeared after the problem.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well most likely the new installation of XP you have done was installed on one of the new partitions. I believe you have a couple of choices... You can format the partition with win2k on it and use the newest partitions with XP (I don't recommend doing it this way though). The best way would be to install XP again and do a full install. When the blue setup screen is asking you which partion to install on choose the option that lets you delete all the partitions on the drive and install xp over 1 partition across the entire drive. If you have files that need to be saved then I would suggest (since you said you have 2 hard drives) copying everything you need to save over to your other hard drive now and then running the installation process as described above.