Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Know the Difference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the word Fact can be defined as: something that can be proven or disproven through scientific process and observation

the word Opinion can be defined as: something that can neither be proven nor disproven through scientific process and observation, and usually refers to one's own beliefs about something.

being a forum website we whole heartedly support healthy friendly discussion on any family friendly topics. but we all need to keep in mind that when we voice opinions as if they are fact that we run the risk of either offending someone or causing an arguement. we all need to keep in mind the definitions of the words above. i've seen many posts where someone is spouting opinion as fact (i may be guilty of this myself...it's a trait i'm trying to work on) and these threads almost always end in an argument.

once again, this site is not a windows bashing forum, it's not a "have you seen the light of jesus" forum and its not a "don't vote for bush cuz he sucks" forum, it's a computer help forum so please guys...if you want to have a healthy discussion instead of an arguement...please make sure that your wording makes it clear that you are stating an opinion, not factual knowledge...

(sorry for the rant...but IN MY OPINION...i preffer to not have to worry about getting in arguments on this forum)

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
By we, I belive dsenette means himself and the mouse in his pocket.

I dont believe that the problems of late have been a difference in definitions, they are because of things happening in the world. These kinds of things, we are going to have to deal with.

The discussion here does not need to be of a completely technical nature. That is what the off topic forum is for. This forum is open to almost anything, but when it can only lead to arguments/hurt feelings/flaming/hatred, then well put an end to it.

Things like Ford vs Chevy, Bush vs Clinton, Race, religion, and nascar are not going to be discussed here because each side will not change their mind. This only leads to problems.

Just remember that before you post and there should be no problems.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

nascar are not going to be discussed here

View Post

You just *had* to hit me where it hurts, didn't you ScHwErV?? :tazz: Come ON!! We all know that I'm probably THE biggest Nascar addict on these boards. You're killin me here! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i know we can't limit this place to just technical stuff...and i wasn't suggesting that...what i was (and always am) annoyed with is when someone presents an opinion as if it is fact. it is possible to have a discussion about politics or religion in a healthy friendly manner..but this is only possible if both sides say "hey...this is how i feel on the issue" or "this is what i believe" not 'THis is how it is and that's that"

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I am not trying to close this thread again, just curious what is nascar, please put reply in brown paper bag and I will pretend that I didn't receive it, write in n00by if you wish as if it is anything to do which the other nono topics here they won't understand either 1!1!1!1! OMG LOL

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Nascar is car RACING :tazz: :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nascar is a bunch of hicks in cars who haven't learned how to turn right yet (just kidding kat)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:) LMAO! :) YOu got that right........but they sure do turn left purty good....*MOST* of the time! :tazz:

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

it is possible to have a discussion about politics or religion in a healthy friendly manner..but this is only possible if both sides say "hey...this is how i feel on the issue" or "this is what i believe" not 'THis is how it is and that's that"

I actually disagree. I dont think it is possible to have a civilized conversation about any controvertial issue, because with text it is near impossible for someone to sense sarcasm, or seriousness. Everyone will always have their own opinion about things, and people try to express those opinions strongly. But it is hard to know if someone else will consider your words as hurtful, which is why we close a lot of those issues.

We try to give all topics the benefit of the doubt, but once one person crosses the line, we usually end up closing it.

I would love to see some good conversation about politics and whatnot, but im not sure if its possible or not :tazz:

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

this site is not a windows bashing forum

Actually, I think Windows XP is one heck of an OS - it looks pretty nifty and works like a dream if you are careful with what you are doing. Sure, IE is a pain in the neck - but that's just what you get when you've got one of the most-used browsers around in the market. *Shrugs*

it's not a "have you seen the light of jesus" forum

Meep...*winces* I should hope not. Nothing against Christians of course, but I think I get QUITE enough of all that in school already, thank-you-very-much.

and its not a "don't vote for bush cuz he sucks" forum

Again, this sort of topic is just waaayyyy too over-done for its own good. That, plus such posts never fail to rouse some sort of huge debate over who versus who versus who. Gah. :tazz:

You know, I'd love to see some topics around about nice, kid-friendly stuff like...which movie/book is better - Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, and the secret to Johnny Depp's oh-so-swoonable looks (cue fangirlish squeals of 'OH, JOHNNY!'), and so on. Heck, even something as trivial and idiotic as whether or not Crabtree & Evelyn produces cuter packagings than The Body Shop. ^_^

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i agree justin....which i guess was what my point should have been more concerned with....the tone of conversation...the ability to state an OPINION as an opinion....

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Cassy,

You took all the things that we dont want discussed, and discussed them. This is not appropriate. This was a thread about what not to discuss.

As what needs to be said has been done, this thread is closed.

Just remember this from my post above.

The discussion here does not need to be of a completely technical nature. That is what the off topic forum is for. This forum is open to almost anything, but when it can only lead to arguments/hurt feelings/flaming/hatred, then well put an end to it.

Things like Ford vs Chevy, Bush vs Clinton, Race, religion, and nascar are not going to be discussed here because each side will not change their mind. This only leads to problems.