Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ejecting External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Doppler

Doppler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a maxtor 250 GB hard drive. It is formatted as a FAT32. I've left it turned on for a few days, and when I try to eject the hard drive through XP's safety remove hardware it states; "the device cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." The HDD has been turned on and not been used for a couple of days now, and I'm still getting the same message.

I've shut down everything I can think of which would be using the HDD, however nothing seems to work.

Is there anyting I can do to find out which programs or software are accessing the HDD so I can finally eject it?

I need to move it to a new computer and i'm afraid that if I simply remove the maxtor HDD manually, it may damage the drive and I will lose the data.

what are my options?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go

A simple solution to this would be to turn your computer off, then it won't be accessing the external hard drive. :tazz:

If your external hard drive has a power button, turn it off after you turn the computer off, then you can unplug it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
be sure to follow the standard shutdown procedure

Doppler

Doppler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice. I was able to turn the HDD off without a problem.

thanks again,

cheers