Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wininet.dll missing, cant get into windows! [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Carneil

Carneil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

First of all thank you for taking the time to help, it is well appreciated.

I usually use a cable network but today i plugged into a dial up for the first time. As soon as i did that the background turned black with a big spyware warning, an icon appeared saying "click to remove spyware" then another in the shape of a heart appeared saying "Online Dating."

It tried dialling up a premium 0909 number so i pulled the plug. Another icon appeared witha woman's face and it said "access all member areas" or something like that, some [bleep] thing.

I erased the "GBDialer" from the dialing list and restarted the computer. It clicked on my login icon, as it was booting up it said "This application failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

Then it does not go any further, i cannot enter windows. The same thing happens when i try to load from safe mode. I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and get access to some registry area, but i dont know what to do!

Thank you for your help!

I did read the disclaimer before signing up but i cannot do much without getting in to the computer.

EDIT

I have managed to access the computer through the task manager interface and i have been able to run the hijackthis program. I can now acess pretty much all the files in safe mode...

I am not using my laptop (which is the one that is infected, i forgot to mention it was a laptop) i am currently using the desktop. I am trying to get the hijack this log from the lap top and i will add it to this post as soon as i do.

EDIT
unable to get the hijackthis log, but planning on typing it out.

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Edited by Carneil, 14 September 2005 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
If you still need help please tell me what your current situation is and I will help you.

Thanks

Carneil

Carneil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for the offer but i managed to find someone who has taken it away to fix it.

Again, thank you for the reply.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
OK I'm sorry we were too late :)

Good luck to you :tazz:

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.