Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DEFRAGMENTING

• Please log in to reply

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Just want to say thank you for the help I received by reading one of the other entries. Went from 59% to 65% free space, unmovable files are all together and only 4 entries on the report of non-fragmented files.

They are primarily my accounting (QuickBooks)- 292 mb program files and 292 mb data files. What if anything should I be concerned about???

Thank you

Edited by headwayne, 12 September 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

simplejohn

simplejohn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey
Didn't understand exactly what you mean about defragmentation?
Have you tried to use a NORMAL program to do this, and i don't mean the one
that comes with Windows...?

Edited by paws, 05 July 2017 - 02:39 AM.

headwayne

headwayne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
After scrolling through other entries with this problem(many files that could not be defragmented), I found a suggestion and went to where they directed me, used the program with some seriously good results BUT the remaining files that cannot be defragmented are the accounting ones that I mentioned. Since that is a primary use for my computer, I wondered how aggressive I should be with the situation or should I be being grateful for what I got out of it.
The defrag that came with XP2 Home was giving me a longer list everytime I ran it (a few times a week)with files that could not be defragmented.
Mainly, I don't want to ignore something that could build up to a bigger problem later on because I didn't persue defragmenting the rest of the files.
I am a little uneasy because even with very diligent maintenance, I still had an ME OS "malfunction" and had to reinstall, then just totally change the OS to XP2 Home because there were no accounting options for ME OS.

Edited by headwayne, 12 September 2005 - 04:31 PM.