Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I am currently running windows XP Pro SP2. A while back I updated windows through windows update, and when i restarted, there was a blue screen saying some memory access problem. I mannaged to fix this through the command promp and the boot disks, and uninstalled the update causing the problem. It asked me to restart and when i did the wallpaper came up but not the icons or start menu. Ive tried spybot and looked over my HJT log, but it all seems fine. I am able to reach the internet by booting into save mode with networking, but not in normal boot. I can run programs with ctrl-alt-del, but its a major pain. I have attempted running explorer.exe, which doesnt show up in take manager, through this method but to no avail. It either displays an error message or simply does nothing. Spy-Bot S&D found a few missing paths like setup.exe which i fixed, and write.exe and table30.exe, which i did not fix. I dont have an XP disk at the moment, so if theres some other way let me know.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press ctrl + alt + del then you should get task manager, click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter, reboot if the desktop loads and see if the change remains

If not

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes