Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Address

• Please log in to reply

OMA

OMA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hope I Posted in the Right Topic.....

I have a cable ISP and I just noticed that my IP address is showing up on a new message board (in some Chat rooms too) that I just joined...Why is that and how do I fix it? :) Never noticed that happening before :tazz:

I am using Slim Browser and Advant Browser. I also have Fire Fox browser. I know FireFox is about the safest of the 2 but will my IP address be broad cast to the world while using it or is it just a IE thingy?

Thanks for any information, that you may be able to extend to me....

Oma

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
All you can do is ask the message board moddies to let you hide your IP address. The server HAS to know your IP to send files to you, it doesn't work any other way. Whether they choose to hide it or not is the question.

OMA

OMA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Isn't it safer to have the IP address hidden?

Thank you for such a quick reply...

Oma

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It really doesn't matter if someone knows your IP address as long as your firewall is enabled and updated. Don't sweat it.

Johanna