Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP.... got some problems

• Please log in to reply

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well i built a computer a few months ago. First off, i will say the stats, just so everyone knows.

Pentium 4 3.2 ghz (prescott core)
1 gig of corsair RAM
Abit VIA PT880 chipset
2 western digital hdd, one 160 gig, one 250 gig
Radeon 9800 pro (256 mb)
1 cdrw drive
1 dvdrw drive
3 case fans
350 watt power supply
Onboard lan
Onboard sound

Here's the problem: My computer just randomly stalls when i am either playing games, or when i run more than three larger applications at once, i know i have plenty of RAM, but not sure what else could be wrong. I have had my power supply tested, and it produces the correct volts, and also i have moved the RAM, and tested that with the norton system works. Well anyway, i re-installed windows on a second harddrive, still stalls, made sure my drivers are up to date, still stalls, made sure that my power supply works, still stalls. My mobo has been kinda ruled out, but who knows, i need advice. My cpu runs at an idle temperature of 165 degrees fahreinhiet, not sure exactly in celsius, i thnk its about 74 degrees celcius, but not sure, don't want to restart to check. Does anybody have any suggestions for this? If you need more information, just post a messege and i will telll you everything i can and hopefully i can settle this.

P.S. I talked to my computer tech teacher and he thinks it is my graphics card, but i also believe it could be my heatsink, its the stock heatsink. :tazz:

Advertisements

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
74c is a bit hot. If you want to test for heating/cooling issues, open your case and have a large fan (box fan will do just dandy) next to it. You shouldn't be running any higher than 60c.

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Would anyone suggest getting a new heatsink, or not jump to that right away?

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
You need a next power supply about 400 or + and a better fan that what i would do. Dont do it if not sure.

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Can a senior member of the staff back that up please, i trust your opinion, i just like more than one opinion, thanks for your post :tazz:

Nalyd

Nalyd

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
http://www.extreme.o...n.com/index.jsp This is a good place to see if your PSU is sufficient. Just enter the info.

I really think this is more of an overheating problem. http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php

Download Everest Home Edition from here and you can monitor your temps. An intel chip should never get that hot. Blowing a fan in the case is a good idea.

Edited by Nalyd, 12 September 2005 - 10:18 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
WHOAHHHH!!!!

73 is way to high, something is seriously up with the ventilation, a check your heat sink and fan and make sure that there is thermal compound (but not too much) in play.

73 will probobly be taking years of your systems life an explains the crashes....get it sorted ASAP.

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have thermal compound on the chip, and all my fans are spinning, but i do not know. Does everyone think that it is a heat problem, or would it be more of a graphics problem? I will download those two things when i get home... not there right now. I think its the heatsink.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, you have a heat problem, a new HSF and some arctic silver 5 should see you fine. Something from Thermaltake, Arctic then new Akasa and gigabytes are also good, zalman but they are better known for being quieter rather than cooler, thermaltake make the best goos solid HSFs that have good cooling and arent to noisy.

73 should be ok to run it you shouldnt get a stall really it should just crash if the thermal protection kicks in i always say aim for less than 60 and no more than 65 as a good rule(we generally work in celsius with cpu temps, well i use it for everything but not everybody does, i also accept temps in kelvin if you want to be fancy).

PSU front its a little on the small side it would probably be ok if it is really good quality and you didnt have a P4 and all the extra drives. So it would be worth while looking into getting one a little bigger of good quality if you can.

I think it is a combo of the high temp and the small PSU.

I dont think its gfx as the symptoms dont all fit, apps shouldnt be a prob if its gfx.

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the help, i will have to look into some new case fans also, one of mine has gone bad :tazz: So you recomend getting a thermaltake off of newegg.com? Thanks for the help again.

Advertisements

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok found hot hot it is really running, right now with me running this internet page, msn messenger, and EVEREST Home Edition, it is running at 70 degrees celcius, which puts me at about 158 degrees fahreinheit, which is only 22 degrees until my cpu warning temperature is set to, and also i thought i would mention that i noticed that right after my computer stalls, it shows the the clock speed of my computer is 2.8 ghz rather than 3.2 ghz.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yea its heat your cpu is showing sighns that its throtteling back, before changing the hs make sure your cabeling is neat and out of the way of airflow and if you are using bios or software to controll the speed of the cpu fan try disableing it.

Rick

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It has to be a heat problem.

Field Value
CPU 76 °C (169 °F)

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
That is idle with iTunes, three internet windows, msn messenger with one conversation, and EVEREST Home Edition running. only 38 processes and between 4% and 10% CPU usage. CRAZY!!!!! Can someone Help???? :tazz:

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
yea what we have been sayin get a new HSF i dont like it when my prescott goes above 60 mine full loads around 64 or 62 so i am buyin a new one so 74 with that lil goin on is bad bad bad and liek the said ur cpu is throttling back so it doesnt damage itself with heat

Lion

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, fast, quiet, cool heatsink for a a socket 478? I am willing to spend up to about $40.

Thanks for the help everyone :tazz: