Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with scripts

• Please log in to reply

patslaiby

patslaiby

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Guys
let's say i created a batch file to run on my pc, is ther a way to run this batch file by simply assigning a button for it (ex pressing F12 or whatever will run the batch job)?

Thx

Advertisements

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
Create a shortcut to your batch file and then define shortcut keys to the shortcut. For example CTRL + ALT + T

patslaiby

patslaiby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thx modernsavage,
Tried it but when i press for ex:CTR ALT T, nothing happens!!!
is there something else i should do?enable something on the XP????
Thx for the help,

:tazz:

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
Yes go to the properties of the shortcut (Right click it and select properties). Click in the Shortcut key: box and press the keys CTRL + ALT + T

patslaiby

patslaiby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did exactly that but it seems unless both the file and its shortcut are on the desktop this won't work, any way around that?
Thx again

modernsavage

modernsavage

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 51 posts
Do you have the full path to that batch file in the shortcut? Also what version of Windows are you using? I tried it on Windows XP Pro SP2 and it worked fine.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Just a fact. To have a short cut with a hot key respond to what you have set you must have it on the desktop or start menu. This is what I have been told and confirmed with testing, I am not saying that it is true on every computer just on mine and the person that told me this.

patslaiby

patslaiby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have xp sp2 pro, but it didn't work unless it was in the start menu or on the desktop, this is a little weird, but anyhow in my case the batch file is in the start menu.
One other question do you know about a programm that can tap the com 1 port so i could record the information comming thru it destined to a printer?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Why do you what that? There may be an easyer way to acheive what you what if you would give me you reason.

patslaiby

patslaiby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well in fact i have a printer that downloads its pectab(driver) from a host in Paris and not locally,therefore sometimes the connection drops and the printer won't print till you turn it off/on and it will download the driver again, i was thinking of tapping to the com1 port and trying to make a copy of that driver and leave it locally on the server.
That's why!!!
thx or the help

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Normaly you can download the driver from the makers web page, if you know the modle of the printer and install it on you computer so it dose not have to download it.

Will have a look into it and find some more info about it.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 16 September 2005 - 08:34 PM.

patslaiby

patslaiby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
THX Michael,
But the fact is that the driver(pectab) is unique for every airline company (i work in an airport) and the one that makes the printer for the Air France work is downloaded from France, but the other airline's driver are locally and i don't have problem with them, that's why i have to record the driver that is downloading from France.
THX