Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

Starius

Starius

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok i am having problems with my main computer (not this one) with connection and anyways my router can see my computer because the number my computer is connected to is lit up and anyways i tried telling the computer instead of automatically finding the ip is to tell it the ip the network is using and what ip it should use and i also tried reinstalling my ethernet's driver i tried resetting and restarting router but that hasnt worked and also my computers ethernet port works perfectly fine it just cant connect to the internet can anyone help??

ohh i have windows xp also

Edited by Starius, 13 September 2005 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Have you tried reinstalling it ?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
the best way of making sure the router really does see your computer is to open up a browser and type the ip address of the router into the address bar. for example, if the router address is 198.0.0.1, you would type http://198.0.0.1. now if you've set it up right, there should be a popup from your router asking you for username and password to access configuration.

I've also had this problem with my router setup. I found that sygate firewall was blocking my access. so try turning off your firewall if you have one. that's all I can think of about router problems. manually configuring the ip will not work. try typing in command prompt, 'ipconfig/release', followed by 'ipconfig/renew', without the quotes and see if it can come up with a new ip address for itself.

Starius

Starius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i tried typing in the ip address of the router but it doesnt work and i dont think i have a firewall on my comp the thing is i have a wire running into the room into a switch then the switch running into my xbox and comp my xbox connects fine to xbox live and i have tried switching out the ethernet wires switching where they plug into the switch and directly connecting the wire into my computer instead of the switch

Starius

Starius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so is it fixable???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on your pc click start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all then post the results

Starius

Starius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
it gives me a windows dummy ip address i already did that

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
you are now using the router as a dhcp server or are you staticly assigned?

In any case make sure that your network connections thru XP are set to obtain an ip address automaticly.

Edited by yardguard, 13 September 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Starius

Starius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
dhcp i believe

Starius

Starius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so uhh does anyone have any thoughts comments?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Why are you even running a switch if you have a router?

The router has multiple ports doesn't it? No need for a switch if your router has multiple ports and you're only making two connections...just plug them into the ports of the router.

Have you tried just connecting the computer to a port in the router (bypasss the switch)?

Have you tried making a direct connection from the modem to your computer?

Apparently something is configured incorrectly and just a matter of tests to figure out the solution.

Just some thoughts..........