Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two monitors and a TV on my PC

• Please log in to reply

cmurenegade

cmurenegade

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,
This is my first post, so go easy on me...

Heres what I've got. I have been running two monitors on my stock video card (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200.) The two montior setup is great, I have a 17" and a 19", both from Dell. Now, on my card I also have an S-Video output, but when I connect it to my TV I cant get the card to recognize all three displays. I have been surfing around, but havn't found much to help me. I'm guessing that my card will only support one analog and one digital display. If that is the case, I then have two options (I think.)
A. find a way to be able to quickly toggle between the TV and the secondary monitor without having to mess with connections.
B. Purchase either an extra pci video card for one of the connections, or purchase a nicer card that can handle all three.

If anyone can offer ANY info, it would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you right click your desktop and do properties > settings. are there 3 monitors there?(as far as the pictures of monitors). what happens when you press identify? do you have the box for "extend my desktop..." checked for all 3 monitors?

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I am so trying that setup.... sounds fun. I just need a s vid cable.. yeah ati makes it easy with their built in software but windows settings like dsenette said should detect them as well if not... update the drivers??

cmurenegade

cmurenegade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

when you right click  your desktop and do properties > settings. are there 3 monitors there?(as far as the pictures of monitors). what happens when you press identify? do you have the box for "extend my desktop..." checked for all 3 monitors?

View Post

I know what you mean about the pictures and the indentify. I can only get two of the monitors to show up at once. It whichever monitor was connected first (between auxillary monitor and TV,) will show up. I saw a website somewhere that spoke about the Nvidia cards, and it showed the 3 displays in the settings window. My drivers are up to date.

Any thoughts?

Edited by cmurenegade, 13 September 2005 - 06:17 PM.

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
is the TV on? maybe it won't detect it if its off and.. its a s-video to s-video cable I presume? I've had a problem with s-video to composite before (that being the single yellow wire)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may also have to have the tv set for the svideo output in it's av settings (like switching the tv between video 1, 2, dvd, and svideo) if you know what i mean...when connecting my laptop to the tv i seem to recal it having to be on the svideo "channel" before it would come up

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most video cards can only support two monitors maximum or a monitor and a television, it depends on the card though, you can get a siganl splitter with a switch to go from one to the other they arent to hard to get hold of.