Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Create and Share

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I don't know if this is a common problem so I'm going to put up some of my research. I am trying to run this on Compaq 5150 with WIN98.
Experts.about info follows -
Question
Attempting to install the "Create and Share" software for the Intel PC Camera Pack; it seems to install OK, but when I run any of the programs for the camera, I get these errors:
"c:\Program files\intel\createshare\program\starter.exe A device attached to the system is not functioning and "the CAMPK2.DLL file is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL:6880" ."

Answer
CAUSE
This error can occur if the MFC42.DLL is an older version than the one required by Create/Share. During the PC Camera Pack installation, the version of the MFC42.DLL file is checked. If an older version is detected, the PC Camera installation program will attempt to replace it. In the case where the file is being used by another program, it can't be replaced by the installation program until the DLL is released by the program that is using it. In this situation, the user must reboot the computer after the installation of PC Camera Pack finishes. After the reboot, the DLL is replaced before an application can start and use the DLL file.

RESOLUTION

Reboot the computer. PC Camera Pack should start without the error.

Replace the DLL with a copy from a system that can run PC Camera Pack. All applications should be closed and NT users should be logged on as the administrator. If Windows NT4 indicates that the original file is still locked even though all applications are closed, an administrator may be able to rename the DLL from the NT4 command prompt with the REN command.

Replace the DLL by reinstalling PC Camera Pack. To do this, the following steps must be followed. NT users must be logged on as the administrator.

1. Close all open applications.
2. Uninstall Create and Share per their procedures.
3. Locate the MCF42.DLL file. In Windows 95/98, it will be found in the Windows \SYSTEM folder. In Windows NT4, it will be found in the Winnt \SYSTEM32 folder. Rename the file to MFC42.bak.
4. Reinstall Create and Share software.
5. Reboot the computer.
I've rebooted the computer several times and it does not free anything up so that the camera works. I do not know if there is something running in the background that uses the needed DLL.
I have gone in thru Device Manager and searched for an updated driver, it says I have the most recent one available.
Intel's site gives advice for WIN98 users but my system doesn't work their way. They say look in Device Manager for Unknown Devices - I have nothing like that. My Intel shows up under Imaging Device. That shows Hardware version: Not available. Device status: Device working properly. Device usage: NO check in Disable in this hardware profile. CHECKED in Exists in all hardware profiles. Under the Driver tab - Provider and Date: Not available. Also says, no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device. To update the driver files for this device, click Update Driver. I've done that and have most current driver.
I'm very hesitant to go in and change a file name as suggested by Experts.about. I wanted Geeks advice about how to handle this situation. I respect Geeks advice.

Thank you for your advice,
bamakodaker

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, you guys can just delete this thread all together.
I "assumed" loading software worked fully each time you loaded something. I found a missing driver for 3D sound on my Compaq Restore CD. Missing components to Intel Create and Share were "found" after deleting and reinstalling that software.

Maybe I learned something after all - well, it probably won't greatly reduce my questions to you guys but I think I've moved forward - if only a little bit! :tazz:

bamakodaker