Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't open/use system tools...

• Please log in to reply

traybonne

traybonne

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello all,

it seems like one problem leads to another lately! just got over an issue with a new scanner and now can't use ANY system tools, (thats' all i've checked it may be more), no defrag, system restore, etc. when i hover over the line i want to click on, the little box says shortcut... like the programs aren't there anymore, just the shortcut.... i only found out about this when i wanted to restore after installing and uninstalling a bunch of scanner related stuff i was pretty sure i must have screwed something up and thought a quick fix would be to restore. anyway, any help would be, well, helpful. thanks in advance, tracey

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sorry no quick fix here. the os has become corrupted. I hope you have the os cd handy. you will also need the os cd key.

boot from the os cd key and start doing the install. the first chance it offers to run a repair or recover console you just need to continue on past that. once it starts the install and detects the os it will prompt you to either 1)install in a new directory or 2) to run a repair. at this point you just need to run a repair.

once completed you will need to reapply all of the windows security patches by running windows update from microsoft.com.