Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to copy hard drive to hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jbigny

jbigny

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have windows pro and all my files on 1 hard drive. I have another I want to use but I do not have an install disk. I would like to copy the whole hard drive tot he second. I have windows 98 se on the second.can I still copy drive and keep the 98 on in case I may need it. How do I achieve this goal.
if i cant keep that will be ok too.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If I understand it right -- you want to put a copy of your XP installation on to a second disk that already has Windows 98 on it -- right? yes you can do this but you'll need to buy some software which creates a compressed 'image' of one partition and saves it on another disk or partition. You then use the same application (from a boot disk it creates) to restore the image back to it's original state. The two main contenders for this job are 'Norton Ghost' and 'Acronis True Image'. I personally use Acronis True Image -- it's brilliant, easy to use and has never failed on me. http://www.acronis.c...g/sales/online/
keeping a complete backup of your windows installation doesn't get any easier than this.