Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijacked by PS Guard [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

willow65

willow65

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On Saturday night I was sitting in front of my computer doing genealogy (yeah that is my life.. :) lol) and suddendly by desk top went black and started flashing. PS Guard had taken over. :)

Then my virus prog. popped up telling me that I had a trojen called TROJ_ ALEMOD.C. It said that it was located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll.

I have been trying since Saturday night to remove all of this stuff...it causes applications to be sluggish or sometimes not open at all.

In safe mode I ran Hijack this, ad aware and spybot s&d. I also ran my AV and it showed no viruses. So having run all that and doing some housekeeping (ad aware and spy bot found a lot of stuff...and I run them both once a week as a regular rule) I rebooted in regular mode just to discover that everything was still there. PS Guard was still there, the AV was popping up to box telling me that the trojan was still there. :tazz:

BTW...I did run my AV in regular mode and it did find the trojan...once it said that it removed it and after it kept popping up and I tried again it said that it could not remove it. I also made sure that my AV was up to date.

I'm stumped on this one and would appreciate any help I can get. :)

I am running windows xp btw. I also have a fire wall (always on) and I have a cable modem going through a router.

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Hello :tazz:

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Edited by loophole, 16 September 2005 - 07:43 PM.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.