Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Aware troubleshooting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I've been having problems with my internet freezing lately, so I downloaded Ad-Aware SE. It seems to scan fine like it does on my other computer, but then towards the end it gets stuck on a process called "performing conditional scans." The status bar gets about 90% completed, but it just stays there. I left it running for an hour last night and it did not change at all. Is there any way to skip this process of conditional scans? Because it found 570+ problems, and I would really like to fix these because I have a feeling my internet problem lies somewhere in there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Welcome to GeekstoGo ;)

Hi prettyvacant

Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide. Also see this post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

kc :tazz:

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 2:15:01 AM, on 12/23/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINJECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON UTILITIES\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SYMTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINSM32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\Monwow.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\A I M\AIM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_19_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\PROGRAM FILES\MISC\ADOBE READER\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\PROGRA~1\MISC\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_19_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
O4 - Startup: CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///D:\Program Files\Yahoo\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///D:\Program Files\Yahoo\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///D:\Program Files\Yahoo\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - D:\PROGRAM FILES\A I M\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Graffiti - http://download.game...ts/y/grt5_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {A17E30C4-A9BA-11D4-8673-60DB54C10000} (YahooYMailTo Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c.../ymmapi_416.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Poker - http://download.game...nts/y/pt1_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...utocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.game...nts/y/tt3_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop...p/PCPitStop.CAB

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This looks suspicious:
D:\PROGRAM FILES\A I M\AIM.EXE

Please submit it here:
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

And reply with the results. :tazz:

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
In response to the Ad-Aware problem, I went to the Lavasoft message board and I guess A LOT of people are having similar problems as I am. For some reason the the scanning procedure seems to get stuck during the "performing conditional scan" process and won't move on. Through someone's suggestion, I managed to delete about 500 of the 700 or so problems, but I'm still left with 100+. Anyways, I did a scan on that AIM file you wanted, and here are the results.

You're clean!
Kaspersky Anti-Virus has not detected any viruses at this time in the file you submitted.

However, only a fully-functional antivirus solution with regularly updated virus definitions can ensure comprehensive protection against malware. If you do not have an antivirus solution installed, you may wish to consider purchasing one today.

Download a trial version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus in our E-Store
Purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus from a certified partner

Scanned file: AIM.EXE

AIM.EXE - OK

Statistics:
Known viruses: 112776 Updated: 25-12-2004
File size (Kb): 60 Virus bodies: 0
Files: 1 Warnings: 0
Archives: 0 Suspicious: 0

I think it's just my American Online Instant Messenger program. Any more suggestions on Ad-Aware or what could be making my IE freeze would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Can you perform a full system scan with AdAware in safe mode?

Regards,

Pieter

heathh_2k4

heathh_2k4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the exact same problem with a customer's computer. I can't seem to get ad-aware to run and am having the same problem. It won't even run in safe mode.

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey Heath. Just thought I'd give you some updates since I posted this topic about 2 months ago. I was initially posting at the time because my computer was freezing. Someone replied by suggesting that I install Ad-Aware. I did but the program would always stall during "performing conditional scans." It would just stay there even if I kept letting it run. Well, fast forward to today, and my computer is running fine. I determined later that I had a virus that was causing my computer to freeze. BUT, to this day Ad-Aware STILL will not run completely through. I tried running it after I fixed my computer, thinking the virus was the problem, but it still gets stuck in the conditional scan phase. I've gone to the Lavasoft (Ad-Aware's makers) message board and it appears that a lot of people have had this same problem as we have. No idea what it is. Some people have suggested that it's a bug in the newest version of Ad-Aware, some have suggested trying to run it in safe mode, and some have even suggested pasting a command in Run. None of these have helped unfortuantely, though. For more information go to
http://www.lavasofts...t.com/index.php?

Hope that helps you some.

heathh_2k4

heathh_2k4

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had found one post that I believe was on the Lavasoft board and it said to turn off the automatically unload I believe in the repair engine and to add +procnuke to the command line of Ad-aware and I was able to get it to run after I had run Spybot, AVG, Norton Corporate (already installed on the customer's machine). I also ran SystemWorks 2004 (WinDoctor and DiskDoctor). That seems to have cleared everything up.