Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need ISDN help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Need ISDN help

Need ISDN help

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 3com USRobotics USB ISDN TA that won't take incoming calls. Research on 3com's site has shown me that it is a simple check box on the Voice tab in ControlCenter 3.2. I finally downloaded ControlCenter 3.2 but it would not detect my TA even though the TA is working correctly otherwise. I just can't get into it to make a change that I think I know how to do.

Do I have to connect through a serial cable to configure it or should my USB connection to it be enough?

Is there a newer version of ControlCenter that someone has that might work? 3.2 is freely available on 3com's site.

If anyone wants to help, I can send screen shots and everything. I don't have the model number with me right now since I'm at work. Will check back here from home for responses later tonight.

Would my local Geeks to Go be able to click a checkbox for me for a few bucks?

Anything....PLEASE HELP!!!

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Welcome To G2G

First you'll want to check out this Link..

Next, in order to help you more we will need to know what operating system you are running, the make/model and version of the TA

Also the SPID and phone number for your ISDN line.

also do you have BRI or PRI ISDN service?

Edited by brianmil0923, 14 September 2005 - 03:58 PM.

Need ISDN help

Need ISDN help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My OS is XP SP1.

The TA is a 3Com USRobotics ISDN PRO TA-U Model 3CP3468A.

I am under the impression that a SPID and a phone number are the same thing when referring to ISDN service. SPID 1 is 865-686-4638 and SPID 2 is 865-686-4669. Neither analog jack will allow incoming calls.

As far as whether it is BRI or PRI service, I don't know. Honestly, I didn't order the service or configure the TA. Its my company's TA and ISDN line in my home and I was told that they intentionally configured the TA that way "to avoid personal use." I have big business bureaucracy preventing me from using a phone line that wouldn't cost them any extra anyway.

That link you sent is where I learned what little I know. I downloaded the software they speak of from the same site. It was a version that, according to the site, was supposed to be one that was compatible with my model of TA. When I open the ControlCenter software that the help file we've both read was talking about, it tells me that it can not find a compatible device.

I sent an email to USRobotics' help center and got a response that only thanked me for my inquiry. Go figure.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
the SPID is not the same as the a regualr phone number. in that it is generally longer than 10 digits and the SPID along with the switch type are the credentials you need to supply to the telco switch in order to be authenticated.

in north america there are 3 switch types to choose from:
basic-5ess
basic-dms100
basic-nil1

as i said this is configured on the TELCO switch and you need to have the matching confguration in your DDR or legacy ISDN modem/TA

The phone numbers to be dialed would actually be placed in a dial-list or dial-group in a DDR router setup or "phone book" in a legacy ISDN setup

Sounds like your employer may not have both B channels configurated if it is a BRI

without getting this informatiopn from your employer there is not a lot you can do. The Telco WILL NOT give this information to you!!

IF they configured it only for Business use, then your have a "hardwired" configuration file and it will only be used for its stated purpose.

Also as a personal note: please do not attempt to use this forum to do things you KNOW you should not be!!!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Also as a personal note:  please do not attempt to use this forum to do things you KNOW you should not be!!!

View Post

Couldnt have said it better myself. This is not something we can help you with here. What you are trying to do is not only breaking your company policy, but is also quite likely illegal.
This topic is being closed.