Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KB831167 repetitive install

• Please log in to reply

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a laptop that gets windows updates from a SUS server. It downloads Critical Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB831167) and installs it successfully, then the next day it downloads it again and wants you to install it again. This cycle keeps going on and on, no errors ever show up.

I've cleared the catroot2 folder and manually ran other updates to see if that triggers past it but no luck. Also, that update is not listed when I manually search for updates on the windows site for that computer.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You could try disabling auto-updates, then re-enabling it straight away.
This should reset the 'stuck' update record on your system.

archtech

archtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did try that but it didn't seem to clear.

What I did next was I downloaded the update manually from Microsoft's website and ran the install from the C drive. It started like a normal update, but after clicking ok to the first message, I kept an eye on the process in the task manager and as soon as I clicked ok, the Q831167.exe process ended.

My guess is there is something locally that causes the install to skip but still give an "install complete" message.

Previosuly this laptop had an issue with the .net windows update but followed Micrsofts instructions on how to fix that and I resolved it. In that case, the .net SP1 install would fail and then que up each week to install.

If you have any ideas on what could be on the local C drive that would cause this to fail or any other ideas for that matter, let me know