Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

halfpint

halfpint

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have windows xp pro, sp.2. It started shutting down slow the other night. I have run trojan hunters, spybot, adaware, microsoft antispyware. cw shredder. Can someone please give me an idea. What i can do. I even disabled all things in the startup under msconfig. That didn't help. Now what. hugs,

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Probably because you have not much RAM left !

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey there could u give more imformation on ur system spec, processor, memory, amount of free hdd space size of hdd, and "clever boy" without even knowing the spec of his system u cant declaire it to be lack of memory.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start -> Run.
Type: eventvwr.msc.
Press <enter>.
After the "Event Viewer" is open.
Go through the Application, System and Security Logs.
In the right-pane of the window, you will have various events.
Can you check if you have events with event-no. 1517 or 1524 with source as Userenv at the same time as you shutdown.
If and only if such events are present; Download: User Profile Hive Cleanup.
User Profile Hive Cleanup is Microsoft service(can be seen in services.msc) and will try to speed-up shutdowns by freeing up dangling registry keys.

If the aforementioned events are not present in you Event Viewer logs; post back.

Edited by darth_ash, 14 September 2005 - 01:07 PM.

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi, i'm a little lost on how do i know those are at the times i shutdown? I have many 1517 in there with userenv and they show warning signs to the left. There are 7 of those on todays date. They are all under the application. But can't say if they were at shutdowns. Thanks

halfpint

halfpint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Dell Dimension 8400,
1024 Megs installed memory , slot channel A dimm 0 has 512 mb
3.60 gh intel pentium 4
16 k primary memory cache
1024 k secondary memory cache
hard drives
246.17 free 227.32