Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk defrag

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Defrag keeps restarting. Is following info correct? - - bamakodaker

Defrag works most efficiently when your drive has ample space for its operations. If you run Defrag with a drive that’s chockablock, it must work like mad simply to clear enough space to start writing files. So it pays to delete all unnecessary files before you start defragging. Uninstall unwanted programs, archive old data, delete unwanted backups, and then run Disk Cleanup (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup).
Defrag also works best when completely uninterrupted. Background programs such as Task Scheduler and anti-virus software can cause Defrag to stop and restart repeatedly. To avoid such interruptions, do a clean boot before running Defrag:
a. Click Start -> Run, type msconfig in the Open box and click OK to open the System Configuration Utility.
b. On the General tab, click Selective Startup and remove the ticks beside Process System.ini File, Process Win.ini File and Load Startup Group Items. (On some versions of Windows you may also see Config.sys, Autoexec.bat and Winstart.bat options - remove the ticks beside these as well).
c. Click OK and allow your computer to restart.
Once you’ve cleaned out unnecessary files and stopped background programs from loading, you’re ready to defrag:
a. Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter.
b. Select the drive you wish to defrag.
c. Click Settings and make sure there’s a tick beside the two options in the section When Defragmenting My Hard Drive, then click OK twice to begin.
d. After Defrag has finished, open the System Configuration Utility once more, click Normal Startup on the General tab, click OK and reboot.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
If defrag keeps restarting try defragging in Safe Mode.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
well, with my limited experience I must beg to learn those procedures!

bamakodaker

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Is that a question or a little sarcasm?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Honest question! We're all here for a reason - needing help. Sure, we can get rather frustrated, and ask some really stupid questions - but attitude doesn't work here! It doesn't pay to be sarcastic - help doesn't show up then! :tazz:

bamakodaker

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
For win98 - on boot up constantly tap f8 key this will get you to the Startup menu where you can select "Safe Mode". The screen will look strange ( no drivers) and have "safe mode" in all corners. You should be able to run defrag successfully from here.

If you have a problem getting to the Start up screen use this link: http://service1.syma...src=sec_doc_nam

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
That was what I needed!! :tazz:
FINALLY got to defrag after installing everything following installing a new HD - whew!

Thanks for the help!

bamakodaker

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You are very welcome.

familypavlich

familypavlich

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Like bamakodaker, I have also have had a problem as long as I can
remember with defrag restarting over and over again.

With the helpful suggestion provided by 1069 and questions and responses
by bamakodake, too FINALLY go to defrag everything after restoring the registry. I may add that the advice for restoring the registry was also gained at this site.

THANK YOU ALL!! Especially bamakodake and 1069 for you careful explainations!!
Even I could get my computer up and running after contracting a virus from the Fix popup.

Greatful Geeks to Go Forum reader.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've had defrag continually restart due to norton being active.....defrad doesn't like anything being running at the time that it is

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
familypavlich,

You too are most welcome.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

i've had defrag continually restart due to  norton being active.....defrad doesn't like anything being running at the time that it is

View Post

And it doesn't like screensavers either, so turn them off if you defrag.