Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor/keyboard or computer issue! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Kalitary

Kalitary

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Windows 98, 2nd edition, will turn on.. it's compaq... my mouse does work... only problem.. my monitor and keyboard do not acknowledge the computer coming on.. the keyboard works and the monitor's yellow light is on. I am unsure what is wrong with it. What can I do to fix it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Kalitary...

The yellow light on the monitor indicates the monitor is getting power, but no video signal. It will turn green when video is present.

Did this suddenly "just happen"? Have you added or removed any hardware or software? A bad video card can cause these symptoms.

Have you recently moved the computer? If so, check the cableing, particularly where the monitor connects to the computer.

If you have access to another monitor, try switching the montor to see if the monitor itself might have gone out.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 14 September 2005 - 09:29 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Switch the PC off then turn off the monitor, unplug it if no power switch

Turn the monitor on then Boot the PC

Kalitary

Kalitary

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried all that.. and the computer has been sitting there for awhile.. it used to work when I would keep the monitor off until the keyboard light came on but it doesn't work anymore. and the other monitor I have doesn't show anything either. The only things that turn on are the tower, mouse and speakers.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options then select safe mode

If you get to the desktop then look at re-installing the video adapter drivers

Otherwise, boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when it says registry repaired, press ctrl + alt + del keys together to reboot