Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what is the difference between 32bit cpu and 64bit

• Please log in to reply

ihtbrat

ihtbrat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a computer built? I want to know what the difference is between a 32bit cpu and a 64bit cpu? What do you recommend? Plus I was told I don't need higher than a 512mb memory and a 160gb hard drive??

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well 32-bit is basically the width of the bus in the cpu, it means you can get more data to the cpu and thus process it faster, basically anyway thats what it is you can look it up in wikipedia for more info. 64 is better than 32 and a new pc you would expect to have a gig and at least a 160gig hard drive. Depends on the use though, if its for word processing and surfing a cheap 32bit cpu and 512 of ram is fine but if you want to do more stuff you need the 64 bit cpu and gig of ram especially if you want to play games.

Who is building it for you, i would always be wary of small shops they dont offer good value for money as a rule compared to larger builders. Depends also ni what country you live in as to what you can choose from.

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
A 32-bit processor is one that can internally process 32 bits of data at a time. A 64-bit processor can process 64 bits of data at one time.

In order to get the full benefit out of a 64 bit processor (and make it worth spending the extra money) you'll likely have to shop around to find a 64-bit edition of Windows XP. They are available legally through many resellers. If you're using an AMD 64-bit processor, it will run the 32-bit Windows XP, but you'll basically be wasting half of the processor's capability.

As warriorscot said, if you're planning on using this computer for some word processing, e-mail checking and web browsing, 64-bit is probably overkill and 512 MB of RAM will be enough.

If you want to use your computer for a lot more than that, you may find the 64-bit processor beneficial, as well as getting yourself some more RAM. I'd recommend asking the person/business building the computer if they plan to purchase the 512 MB of RAM as 2 sticks of 256 MB and run it dual channel also. That would give you a performance boost rather than having 512 MB of single channel RAM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I personally dont reccomend 64 bit windows as it is very buggy and has poor driver support the 64 bit cpus tend to be the best at 32 bit apps as well.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Who is building it for you, i would always be wary of small shops they dont offer good value for money as a rule compared to larger builders. Depends also ni what country you live in as to what you can choose from.

I do not feel this is true I have a small business that I build custom computer. I would put one of my built systems up to the test to any larger builders. Us both using the same cost to build it and I can tell you for a fact that the system I build will be faster and more reliable. and all my systems come with a 3 year repair at no cost. Find a larger builder that does that if you can without having to pay for it.
All of my customers have more then one system built by me now.
:tazz:

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

I do not feel this is true I have a small business that I build custom computer. I would put one of my built systems up to the test to any larger builders. Us both using the same cost to build it and I can tell you for a fact that the system I build will be faster and more reliable. and all my systems come with a 3 year repair at no cost. Find a larger builder that does that if you can without having to pay for it.
All of my customers have more then one system built by me now.
:)

View Post

I dont believe you!!!

Build me one at my specs and let me test it for 3 years :) :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its a general rule in this country at least in the UK we have lots of great large custom pc builders that offer better price and quality than shops do, they are able to buy bulk where a small shop cant thus saving money and parts they dont use they then sell and its a great way to pick up parts at a good price. I have yet to go into a small shop and find a part or pc to buy that i couldnt build a better cheaper one myself, or get off a builder like Scan, mesh,carrera or evesham and all have fantastic reputations and good warranties with onsite support alot of the time varying on the model you purchase.

Im sure you do offer good value for money, i said as rule but there are always exceptions, alot of the shops i go into after about 5 minutes its clear some of them barely know what they are doing and dont have as much expereince and dont get enough practice to do it.

In more remote area though the cost effectiveness of a small shop increaeses though as they can offer the support to their customers that a big company cant and they can obviously save on shipping costs to customers.

Its a regretable to say but alot of people do get a raw deal from some small shops, although i do like a good shop as you can often have a good blether and can pick up the cheaper supplies that its more hassle than its worth to get online.

But im sure you do give your customers good service and value for money, i only wish there were more people like you around.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 September 2005 - 05:26 PM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

But im sure you do give your customers good service and value for money, i only wish there were more people like you around.

Thank you. and you are right there is some small shops that may not build you the best but as a small shop if you want to get the customers back you need to build the best system you can. I'm from the US so I'm not sure how things are in the UK.

OneCool Come up with the cash and I'll build you anything you like and gave you the 3 years like I do all my customers.
:tazz:

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

OneCool  Come up with the cash and I'll build you anything you like and gave you the 3 years like I do all my customers.
:)

View Post

I was kidding :tazz:

Its good to see the "small man" fight the big corps :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Alot of the small shops here have stopped building, because A it is so easy to do it yourself and B. we seem to have more than our fair share of mid sized builders that do the online retailer thing as well to cover the overheads and letting them buy bulk for cheap parts, thus cheaper custom PCs. There has been a big surge in the popularity of the custom builders as well as there are more computer savv folks now with alot of money and not enough time to build it and maintain a pc themselves.

One worth keeping an eye on is MESH they have stepped down from the super uber PC market and are doing some really good stuff in the low to mid/high range market, basically stealing a fair portion of custom that once would have went to dell and alienware.

There are so many super uber PC makers as well now, what i wouldnt give for an Armari gravistar or a voodoo, with the overclocked X2s so they are faster than any single core as well as any dual core cpu and 7800GTXs with their own water cooling, aah if only i was rich enough for one of those.

Praetorian

Praetorian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
32 bit is at a dead end. 64 bit will only continue to get faster and develop more so buying a 64 chip would be best. Even buying an A64 sempron vs say an 3200+ xp would probably be faster in most things.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
With the new OS of Vista coming out, its almost inevitable that you will be able to buy it in the 64 bit format as well so i would def. recommend spending a little bit more now and getting alot out of it