Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

phpBB

• Please log in to reply

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
On my friends forum, he had a "guest" post. Now the user has registered and my friend wants the posts to be associated with that user. Is there a mod out there that can accomplish that, or some other way short of deleting the posts and then having the user repost them?

Advertisements

cyberCrank

cyberCrank

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rmurphy.

The answer is yes -- if you have something like phpMyAdmin installed or your host server provides it for your use for a client-side application to access your database(s) manually, then yes you can do it.

phpMyAdmin is not only very nice for doing routine database maintenance functions, but also serves nicely for doing these type things manually when no other tool is available... So by using phpMyAdmin you can access your database using the server info, database name, username, and password.

When you normally view the phpBB topic in IE or Foxfire you will see and can note the topic# at the end of the URL listing.

When viewing the database with phpMyAdmin and looking at the "users" table (often listed as phpbb_users) you can and should find the new username you want to change that post to.

Look by using phpMyAdmin and find the user in the phpbb_users table and look at the user's user_id and make a note of it (the actual user_id number).

Now look in the phpbb_topics table and find the topics_id which will match the topic# noted in the URL listing when viewed by IE or Foxfire. There you will see the topic info to confirm the correlation (informational for consistency of understanding).

Now look in the phpbb_posts table and sort by topics_id and scroll through them until you find the topic_id corresponding to the topic s/he posted in (noted at the end of the URL). If they were a Guest (anonymous) poster, then it will show up as a -1 for the poster_id of a "Guest" (Anonymous) poster. Change that -1 poster_id (same as the user_id) to the new user's actual user_id ... You may want to double check the phpbb_posts_text table and the post_id to ensure that the text matches the post you are wanting to modify.

After you make the change to the new user_id (poster_id), then you should view the topic again (refresh the page) and see if the new user's name is listed as desired instead of the "Guest" username.

Now having done all this, you may want to set the permissions in phpBB Admin panel to only allow registered members to post (this is optional, but often recommended to mitigate anonymous posting in a forum)...

This process seems and is :tazz: tedious (especially for a "large" board) and is not done often, but should get the job done for you OK. You may learn a little about phpMyAdmin and phpBB too, which is a good thing to know for database repairs, optimizations, etc.

Good Luck!

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Thanks, i will try this later after i get some sleep...i just pulled an all nighter for an exam.