Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp elements not working

• Please log in to reply

marshel

marshel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First problems came when my Yahoo mail would not delete, then could not access certain banks and credit cards. When I click on the button or link, NO RESPONSE.
Trying to find an answer, went to START, HELP, same result, SEARCH and SYSTEM RESTORE also gave no response. A click on the MEDIA PLAYER returns "INTERNAL ERROR"
HELP
First day as a member, glad I found this site
THANK YOU
HELP

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

marshel

marshel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Keith, thanks for the advice. Bought the computer with XP installed and don't have CD
Will it help to buy a fresh copy of XP, or will I have to install it?? If so, can I install over and replace the current XP ??
Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The first thing is to ask the PC supplier what type of installation is on at the moment.

If you didn't get any disc then you probably have a restore partition, and most likely the only option is to revert to original configuration

A restore partition probably won't recognise an XP CD, you could borrow a same version XP CD to establish this.

Long term, it would be better to buy an OEM XP CD, back up your existing data with a CDRW or DVDRW Drive then clean install from the XP CD

marshel

marshel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
What's the chance of my messing it up??
Thanks for the advice...any chance this could be a forerunner of a hard drive crash??