Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive Under Test

• Please log in to reply

rdavis1030

rdavis1030

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've spent a lot of time removing malware from friend's systems, and as most of you know, it's often a time consuming process.

Fixing systems that have no NIC makes the loading of antivirus and anti-spyware programs and definition files a chore - download programs/defs on another (host) system, burn CD, and load CD into target system. This, coupled with cycles of booting in safe mode, and booting in normal mode takes a lot of time.

It occurred to me that removing the system hard drive from the target system (system under test) and installing it as a secondary drive on a host system would be much faster. I must admit ignorance however, as to whether or not this would actually work, since I don't know if programs like AVG or AdAware for example, while capable of scanning any drive or folder, would be able to find infestations in the systems areas of the target hard drive.

Has anyone on this forum ever tried doing this?

Advertisements