Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Timeout using pcAnywhere 11.5

• Please log in to reply

FishnMan2k

FishnMan2k

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

I'm hoping that someone can assist with a very particular issue. I've got pcAnywhere version 11.5 loaded on a Dell Precision 370 Workstation, with a Conexant D850 56k V.9x DFVc Modem. (this is the host computer)

Whenever I attempt to make a connection using pcAnywhere the host computer answers the incoming call, can hear the negoitiation between the modems, then pcAnywhere indicates its status as "idle" then display's a Disconnected message.

I think the problem comes down to the host computer modem (Conexant D850 56k V.9x DFVc Modem) as I've dialed in from three different computers with the exact same result.

I've checked with Symantec, Dell and Conexant on the issue noone seems to have any real information on the cause and or solution. I'm going to place an external modem on the host computer to see if that will get around the issue, but would really like to figure out what's the cause of this issue.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

FishnMan2k

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
modem issue. if this is really important, critical for work I would highly recomend a US Robitics modem

its expensive, but guarrenteed compatability. Had to replace the modems in the treasury dept where I used to work so they could talk to a variety of banks, the old modems had similar issues.

289.00 usd, but well worth it if you have to have dialup.

FishnMan2k

FishnMan2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
starjax,

Thanks for suggesting the USR modem. My issue has been resolved, as the symptom was because the phone line was shared with a public utility modem which was asnwering the inbound call prior to pcAnywhere.

FishnMan2K

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well that certainly could cause issues.

starjax

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sort of like your little sister picking up the phone when your hot date for the evening calls....just ruins the whole night....glad you found your problem