Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help Networking to a laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have Dsl, and a D-link 604 router. I pluged in the cat6 cable into the router and into the laptop,but the laptop keeps saying in the righthand corner "Connected" and then a second later it says "Network Cable unpluged". Tryed a cat5 cable and it does the same thing. Any idea why? Do Ihave to open ports on my router?

Edited by Ritzy87, 15 September 2005 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
There are many possibilities. check this page.

troubleshootin Network Cable unplugged
http://www.chicagote...leunplugged.htm

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Still having the smame problem. It Is connected one second then its unpluged, does that the whole time.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How were you using the laptop before? Were you able to connect by other means? You may need to do some configuration. Oh, and is this the XP machine?

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

How were you using the laptop before? Were you able to connect by other means? You may need to do some configuration. Oh, and is this the XP machine?

View Post

My dad brought it home from work, works fine at his work but once we plug it n it dont want to work, its Xp to Xp

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Welcome to G2G, ritzy87

Which version of the 604 do you have. There are Multiple Revisions of the DI-604
Each revision has version specific drivers, installation guides and firmware.
Files are not interchangeable On the sticker, you will see H/W:? please let us know what letter appears after that. So we will know how to proceed with troubleshooting your problem.

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Welcome to G2G, ritzy87

Which version of the 604 do you have.  There are Multiple Revisions of the DI-604
Each revision has version specific drivers, installation guides and firmware.
Files are not interchangeable On the sticker, you will see H/W:?  please let us know what letter appears after that.  So we will know how to proceed with troubleshooting your problem.

View Post

Its the D-link 604 H/W: C1. We had a problem in the laptop so we had to format it, so it might jsut work once I get it all booted up. Dunno though. Thanks for the help so far! :tazz:

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
We got it running today and it has the same problem. One second its Connected and the Next its not. We got it to work once yesterday out of the blue, but since then it flickers off and on. :tazz:

Do i need to change stuff in my router? 192.168.0.1 Any ideas are welcomed, we need to get this working

Edited by Ritzy87, 18 September 2005 - 04:59 PM.

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok so its something on the laptop, We tryed plugging it in right from the back of the modem w/o going though the D-link, I have no idea what to do?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Connect the DSL modem Direcetly to the computer again. make sure the ethernet cable from the DSL modem is connected to the Network Adapter (NIC/Ethernet) slot, not the modem phone jack connection.

i know, i know, but hey RJ-11, RJ-45, look pretty similar and new laptops have built in interfaces....after a few beers, even i....oh nevermind... :tazz:

Is the DSL connection new or have you upgraded to XP SP2 recently? What make/model is the DSL modem? Do you have a steady DSL connection light? Have you ever been able to connect to the internet?

Check the Network Conenction properties for Local Area Network. Make sure under the Authentication tab. "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for the network" is not checked. Back to the General Tab. Click on Internet Protocal(TCP/IP), click properties. make sure it is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

power down the DSL modem and laptop...wait 30 seconds the power the DSL modem back wait till you have a solid DSL light...then fire up the laptop.

let us know how you make out!

Edited by brianmil0923, 18 September 2005 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Connect the DSL modem Direcetly to the computer again.  make sure the ethernet cable from the DSL modem is connected to the Network Adapter (NIC/Ethernet) slot, not the modem phone jack connection. 

i know, i know, but hey RJ-11, RJ-45, look pretty similar and new laptops have built in interfaces....after a few beers, even i....oh nevermind... :)

Is the DSL connection new or have you upgraded to XP SP2 recently?  What make/model is the DSL modem?  Do you have a steady DSL connection light?  Have you ever been able to connect to the internet?

Check the Network Conenction properties for Local Area Network.  Make sure under the Authentication tab.  "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for the network" is not checked.  Back to the General Tab.  Click on Internet Protocal(TCP/IP), click properties.  make sure it is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

power down the DSL modem and laptop...wait 30 seconds the power the DSL modem back wait till you have a solid DSL light...then fire up the laptop.

let us know how you make out!

View Post

Dunno About the Xp SP2 update? Its only connected once since we've had it at home, it was spontainious lol out of no were after being pluged it and messed with for a hour or so. When i pluged it in it only Recieves packets and doesnt send? ill mess with it more after i get home from the gym, right now im on the run....lol ill printall u said and do it later :tazz: Ill get back at you all later!

Edited by Ritzy87, 19 September 2005 - 03:22 PM.

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is the DSL connection new or have you upgraded to XP SP2 recently? What make/model is the DSL modem? Do you have a steady DSL connection light? Have you ever been able to connect to the internet?"Quote

We have the Speedstream5360 Ethernet ADSL modem. Ya all four lights are steady with one blinking. On the big computer we have never had a problem connecting

The Network card or w/e is Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100)in the laptop and the driver is old and from 7/1/2001 Version 5.41.22.0 , on the big computer Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Is there Any Drivers that i need to update? were can i get them from i looked all over and got confused.......... :tazz:

Edited by Ritzy87, 19 September 2005 - 07:40 PM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
I say this alot, but Is your windows firewall Turned Off?

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I say this alot, but Is your windows firewall Turned Off?

View Post

Yep, im thinking its the network card in the laptop? doesnt want to work with my modem n [bleep], but works fine at my dads work.....

Ritzy87

Ritzy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Bump, man come one i need some help.... :tazz: