Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enormous Internet issues.

• Please log in to reply

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Hi.

I've been having some connection issues these past few weeks. I turn on the computer first thing in the morning, and I get no Internet connectivity - just a little computer network icon in my system tray attempting to connect for a bit, then popping up with a message saying that my local area internet connection has limited or no connectivity. A restart fixes the problem, and I get back my Internet connection. It has been happening everyday since a couple of weeks ago, when I uninstalled Norton AntiVirus 2005 and installed AVG.

I've tried just about everything under the sun. Ran Winsock, applied patches, added a new registry file...they all don't work.

Lately I've also been getting the little yellow shield icon in my taskbar every time I start up the computer with the Internet connection ready, one with a little exclaimation mark on it. It disappears after a bit. I figured it was the Automatic Updates, so I went to the Windows Updates website to check it out. On my Updates History tab, I saw a couple of entries for the latest September version of Malicious Software Removal Tool, only all of those failed with error code 0x80246008.

I linked to the support page for that error, and tried out what Microsoft suggested, which was to change my Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic, and make sure its service status was Started. However, trying to start the service only gives me an error message telling me to look to service specific error code 2147024894, which I don't understand.

Manual downloading of updates from the Windows Updates website also does not work. I click on install updates, and all that happens is that a grey box telling me it is preparing the download appears. Nothing else happens, no progress or whatever. I end up having to cancel the whole thing through Ctrl-Alt-Delete and stopping Internet Explorer. Each time I do this, it ends up as one new entry on my updates history, as a 'failed' manual download from Windows Updates.

One more issue is that I discovered this morning that I can no longer access links through external applications. I could not check for a new WinPatrol version through WinPatrol - the browser window simply would not appear. It worked last week - I have no idea why it doesn't this time. Same goes for trying to access Windows Updates or the Malicious Software Removal Tool through Microsoft AntiSpyware, or the 'AVG plus Firewall link' in AVG. I can check for updates with CCleaner, which opens up an Internet Explorer window, but that's about it.

I really, really need all the help I can use now. I'm just about on the verge on reformatting my computer, seriously. That, plus the fact that the uninstallation of Norton and installation of AVG has completely messed up my Security Center as well.

By the way...if I were to really reformat, is there a way I could do it so that Norton AntiVirus 2005 doesn't come back? My PC came with a free subscription to the program, but I don't really care for Norton.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you reformat, Norton will be gone. In fact, that is the only way I know to remove Norton from a system without tweezers and a magnifying glass.

For your limited connectivity, try this:
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.
2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.
3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.
4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.
5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.
6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

HTH
Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To update from the MS site, Windows Updates has to be set to automatic. Error reporting and BITS services also must be enabled. I have to shut off an ad blocker I use, too, or it won't work.

Johanna

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

If you reformat, Norton will be gone. In fact, that is the only way I know to remove Norton from a system without tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Well, that's a relief, at least. I have a feeling uninstalling Norton had something to do with all the issues my PC's been popping up with lately, so I don't really fancy going through the whole process again. :tazz:

For your limited connectivity, try this:
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.
2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.
3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.
4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.
5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.
6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

For some reason I have two local area connections. Local Area Connection, which is provided by some Realtek thing that I've never heard of before, is disabled. The other one, Local Area Connection 2, is the one that I know I own and use. I followed the instructions you stated for my Local Area Connection 2. Is that okay?

To update from the MS site, Windows Updates has to be set to automatic. Error reporting and BITS services also must be enabled. I have to shut off an ad blocker I use, too, or it won't work.

I don't use any ad blockers. I think error reporting is enabled on my computer, but I'm not sure - how do I know whether or not it is enabled? As for the BITS service, do you mean the Background Intelligent Transfer Service? If so, I already mentioned a bit about it in my first post -

I linked to the support page for that error, and tried out what Microsoft suggested, which was to change my Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic, and make sure its service status was Started. However, trying to start the service only gives me an error message telling me to look to service specific error code 2147024894, which I don't understand.

Yes, I have Automatic Updates enabled, and set to update automatically.

Thanks again.

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Unfortunately, the problem with the limited connectivity is still there. The only change is that now, instead of having a little yellow pop-up box telling me there is limited or no connectivity, the little network icon simply disappears after trying to sign in for a bit.

The issues I have with Windows Updates and and external linking are still not resolved, as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Hmmm... Delete that good connection, reboot, and let Windows "find" it again. Also, try a System File Check with your cd. Start> Run >cmd>
sfc /scannow

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Johanna

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay, thanks for the suggestions, will try them out once I have some spare time over the weekend. However, I've got some questions first -

Hmmm... Delete that good connection, reboot, and let Windows "find" it again.

*Shuffles in embarrassment* Okay, I know I sound like a real dork here - but how do I delete the connection, exactly? Or do you mean a complete re-install of my hardware?

Also, try a System File Check with your cd.

Will a recovery CD work? I don't have an XP disc, just the recovery CDs that came along with my new computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your windows update problems and the "One more issue is that I discovered this morning that I can no longer access links through external applications. " might be caused by a popup blocker....check your avg settings and your windows firewall...

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I use ZoneAlarm Firewall, so my Windows Firewall is turned off. I don't see how ZoneAlarm could possibly be keeping me from acquiring my Windows Updates or external linking, since I have already set programs like AVG to have access to the Internet. What else should I check with ZoneAlarm?

How do I check my AVG settings? I use the free edition software, and there are quite a large number of options with the program that I don't quite get, unfortunately.

Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the quickest way to test if it's a firewall issue would be to TEMPORARILY (not permanently) turn off avg and zone alarm.. just to test the two issues...then turn them back on and we can check the settings...it's not worth the time of digging through all the settings if we can't be assured that this is our issue

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Well, okay, I tried turning off ZoneAlarm and AVG, then attempted to access the links through external applications again...still not working. :tazz: