Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System not found

• Please log in to reply

jabba21

jabba21

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, so a little while ago I was using my computer like normal and then it just restarts. The screen goes black and says "operating system not found." The only thing that would get it to come back on normal was to unplug it and plug it back in. Does anyone know what the problem could be or how to remedy this? This is the third time it's done this in a few months. Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jabba21...Welcome to G2G!

This can be caused by several things, but the most common is a hard drive failure. Now would be a good time to back up your important files onto other media. That's a good idea whether your HDD is going bad or not.

To see if we are dealing with a hardware or a software problem, let's run System File Checker:
Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /f /r (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

jabba21

jabba21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok I went through all of that. I'm not really sure what to post about my results though. It went through 5 stages as it was checking things. It deleted a few files but in the end it said the volume was clean or something like that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jabba21...

Now you watch it to see how it runs AND backup your important files just in case it IS your hard drive.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE.
Run the scans found there to start ruling out a malware problem and if you see things start showing up in the scans, post a HiJackThis log in That Forum.

If you continue to have problems, please post back to this thread.

wannabe1

jabba21

jabba21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, thanks for the help.

jabba21

jabba21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well it seemed to be fixed for awhile but now it is back. For some strange reason it only does it when I am burning a CD now. Any help would be appreciated.

jabba21

jabba21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Anyone have any ideas?