Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI RS3M-IL 7003 Mobo not booting

• Please log in to reply

gmaskew

gmaskew

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've just setup a new MSI RS3M-IL (MS-7003) motherboard with Celeron D Processor (2.80GHz/533FSB), and 256MB of DDR400 RAM.

Press power switch... power light comes on, CPU fan runs, keyboard lights flash once, but no signal on monitor, no HDD activity, and no beeps.

The monitor light is flashing suggesting that there's no output at all from either the onboard ATi 9100 IGP or when I used an AGP4x Radeon 7000 card, although the graphics card is getting power through the AGP port because the fan is running.

I've checked the processor seating (and then reapplied thermal paste before replacing heatsink/fan), switched the RAM to a different socket (there are 2, one green one purple), and checked all fan/power connections and jumpers.

I figure either a dead mobo (brand new) or CPU (brand new), but was wondering about any other suggestions before I reinstall the old system and send the new one back.

Only thing I haven't tested for yet is the mobo shorting with the case.

Any more suggestions?

I couldn't find any 4-pin header on the board for the case speaker, so I assume that the black circular component with "BZ1" is a buzzer for the BIOS beeps.

Thanks in advance

Michael Askew

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Can you try the following :
1. Disconnect power then unplug the main atx connector from the PSU to the motherboard
2. Remove any PCI cards & add-on video card that you may have
3. Disconnect all the drive cabling from the motherboard (hdd, cd, floppy) but leave the power connected to the CD drive.
4.Disconnect any internal fly leads (such as USB, TV out etc) from the motherboard
5. Clear the bios using the Clear Cmos jumper (place over pins 2-3 for about 30 secs, then return to pins 1-2)
6. Reconnect the main atx power lead to the motherboard.

You should have only the CPU, Heatsink/fan, RAM installed, with the monitor connected to the integrated video card. Make sure all external devices (except monitor & PS2 keyboard/mouse) are disconnected. Reconnect power & try to boot up again.
Let me know what happens.

gmaskew

gmaskew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You should have only the CPU, Heatsink/fan, RAM installed, with the monitor connected to the integrated video card. Make sure all external devices (except monitor & PS2 keyboard/mouse) are disconnected. Reconnect power & try to boot up again.
Let me know what happens.

I did that already. Sitting on the kitchen table, motherboard with CPU, heatsink, RAM, all IDE drives disconnected from both IDE and power supply, only external connections are monitor on integrated connection, power, keyboard and mouse.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you have the 4 pin square ATX power connector attached to the motherboard?

gmaskew

gmaskew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you have the 4 pin square ATX power connector attached to the motherboard?

View Post

Yep, it was connected.
To rule out shorts with the case, I tried it with the motherboard outside the case, on a piece of cardboard, with monitor, floppy and power connected, but still no boot.

I've declared it dead and we're arranging for it to be returned. We had this problem before with a new mobo and cpu a few years ago, arrived faulty, sent it back and they confirmed that both were faulty. I guess sod's law struck us again.

Thanks for your help though Samm.

Michael

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. Let us know how you get on with the replacement board.

gmaskew

gmaskew

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You're welcome. Let us know how you get on with the replacement board.

We got the replacement motherboard (finally!!) on Thursday, but on having a look at the board, 2 of the capacitors next to the CPU socket are suspiciously gunky on top with what looks like brown rusty coloured powder. All the rest of the capacitors on the motherboard are nice and shiny clean silver on top.

I've read about motherboards made in 2001-2 having had capacitors from a faulty batch, and some living upto 2 years without problem, but I don't want to risk trying this mobo, only for it to fail or become unstable.
Especially doesn't inspire confidence when written on the (tatty and looks like it's been damp) cardboard box the mobo was in, said "Buffer stock, please send replacements". Methinks this board has either been sitting at the back of a warehouse for a while, or has been RMA'd already!

So we're going to request another RMA and get the money back (plus £19 postage for each of the returned boards), and try another store. I know the leaky caps aren't the store's (LowestOnWeb) fault, but maybe we'll have more luck with Savastore (they say their kits are "sink tested", which presumably means they plug 'em in and get a BIOS screen before they despatch).

Wish me luck that all goes well with the replacement replacement!!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Definately return the board, sounds like those 2 capacitors are leaking, as you said. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the next replacement board!