Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wallpaper changes

• Please log in to reply

hossenfefer

hossenfefer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way with some admin settings or maybe a download that will keep my roomate from changing my desktop. i don't want to password protect my computer because he uses my computer for school sometimes, but to be funny he changes the desktop, is there anyway i can stop this?
thanks
pete

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
hossenfefer...

The only way I know of to accomplish this is to set up separate user accounts on the machine and password protect your account. This can be done through the Control Panel using "User Accounts".

wannabe1

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way with some admin settings or maybe a download that will keep my roomate from changing my desktop.  i don't want to password protect my computer because he uses my computer for school sometimes, but to be funny he changes the desktop, is there anyway i can stop this?
thanks
pete

View Post

Is this your computer that you are wanting to do this to?

hossenfefer

hossenfefer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah, it's my computer, i didn't really wanna add any passwords or anything, but if that's the only way to do it.. i guess i can

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Did you want it so no one can access it at all? or so that you can access it when you need to?

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Simply create seperate user accounts, one for you and one for your roommate. If I were you, I'd create a limited account for him. Admin accounts will be able to view and change your computer settings, while a limited account won't.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I will be with you in a moment. Just waiting on a PM from a stuff to see if I am aoutherized to give you this restriction for you do to.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Back.

BEFORE WE START YOU NEED TO READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY AND DON'T JUMP THE GUN!!!!

Also this restiction will stop everyone that is using your login from changing the wallpaper. So I do highly suggest to set the wallpaper to how you want it before doing the following:

Open up notepad.

once notepad is open copy and paste this in there (to copy, highlight the following and press and hold CTRL C.......... To paste press and hold CTRL + V):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

then in notepade do this (we're going to save this as a registry file):

File>Save AS

Navigate to some where that you can find this (Desktop is best) then save the file exactly as this:

Disable wallpaper changing.reg

Once you have done this, go to your desktop then click on Disable wallpaper changing.

It will ask if you would like to merge it, click yes.

Delete the file AFTER you have merged it.

Reboot your computer for settings to take effect.

Edited by Tony_1983, 18 September 2005 - 04:49 PM.

hossenfefer

hossenfefer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the reply, you can't go into properties and change the desktop, but you are still able to just right click on a picture and go to "set as desktop" thanks for the effort though

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Depending on how clever he is

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Select file called INTERNET EXPLORER WALLPAPER, right click, choose properties, choose READ ONLY

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that in combo with the other suggestion should help

hossenfefer

hossenfefer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ooo, nice, thanks