Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Problems After Recovery

• Please log in to reply

Akuji

Akuji

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Previously I had completely wiped out my CD/DVD Drives, I sent in for some recovery dvds to fix this problem. They came and I started to fix my problem. I hadnt backed up my files before all this happened and once it occured to me to do this, it was too late for me to even attempt it since my drivers were out.

Now that my pc is now on a clean slate with all the programs that it came with along with ones that I had on disk, it seems to have severe lagging issues and I barely have any files in my pc at the moment. My pc is also giving me warnings that my virtual memory is low and Im wondering if these problems are being caused by my old files still being in my hard drive.

Is there any chance of this happening where your old files are still on your hard drive and not completely wiped out as it may seem to the naked eye? If my old files can be recovered from my hard drive, how do I go about doing so? If thats not the case, what would be causing these problems in my pc since my pc is pretty much on a clean slate.

I appreciate any help or solutions given and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Recovery discs from manufacturer's come with all sorts of crappy third party programs and applications that you really don't need on your computer. I'd go through your Add/Remove programs list, which you can access through your Control Panel and uninstall the programs that you KNOW you wont need anymore. Do research on the ones you are not positive that you don't need before you uninstall them. After you are done uninstalling all the programs, reboot your computer and once it's rebooted, go to START-->RUN and type in MSCONFIG. The click on the STARTUP tab and uncheck the boxes next to the processes that don't need to be running. Again, Google is your friend, so use it before unchecking boxes pertaining to items that you are unsure about what they are.

Post back how your computer is running after doing these.

Fenor

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
How much virtual memory do you have?