Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 9800 Pro Problems

• Please log in to reply

Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
CPU temp: 65C
Motherboard temp 34-35C

Cant check the voltages atm, at work.

Advertisements

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I recently purchased a radeon 9800 pro msi. It gives the same problems. I know it has to be something uncompatible in my system, since I tried using another radeon 9800 pro msi from the store that worked over there.

I just increased my mem to 1Gb DDr and I'm awaiting for a more powerful psu. Hoping this works.

If there are solutions, please let us know :tazz: thx in advance

Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I found this while searching for solutions, but since im at work for another 4 hrs i cant try it. but if it works for you, post here as i will be watching this thread. Note that this was copied from the VIA-arena forums.

-----------------------------------------
Ati radeon 9800 Pro:

Anyway.. I tried What I suggested:

Went to the Device Manager tab of my computer, found the 'secondary ATI
driver', right clicked and uninstalled it. Let the computer reboot, and
when It came back up, it asked to install the driver. I hit cancel. I
then went back into device manager and found the item again, now called
'video controller'. Right clicked on it and disabled it. Ran my computer
for 12 hours at a time with my trusty 'windows xp 3d screensaver' and it
hasnt crashed once!

Apparently that was the whole problem, and maybe this can save alot of
other people some headaches!
-----------------------------------------

Plz try it and see if it helps.

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm also at work for about 4 more hours. As soon as I get home, I'll try this suggestion. If anyone else is able to try this before we get a chance, let us know. I'm also keeping an eye on this thread

It does make me feel a bit better to know I'm not alone with this freakin' problem ^^

Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Same here, we are not alone :tazz:

Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Weee, i got my card to actually work rocksolid ... and the funny thing is that i only flashed my bios with the latest one available, then i installed Microsoft .NET 1.1 framework before installing the Catalyst 4.11 driver for the card.

After all that i deactivated the VPU recovery thingie in the Catalyst control center, changed resolution and refresh rate.

I then installed 3Dmark 01 and ran the tests, it used to crash at the first test, but this time it completed the test and i hit 14k points :tazz:

Solid as a rock, ive been playing NFS Underground 2 now at max settings for 2 hrs straight, and before that i played a couple of hrs of KotoR 2 ^_^

*admin is happy

Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just thought id do a followup, its still going strong. No reboot as of yet, or any signs of a crash either.

Only one thing that im pondering about is why the games run off the secondary driver .... the pci one, gonna try and uninstall that one and disable it later today. Ill let ya know how it went.

DoWnWarD_SPIRAL

DoWnWarD_SPIRAL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi ppl, thanx for reviving this old thread.

I wasn't here in a while since my problem has stopped (in a way...)

-----------------------
(I have no professional temp. gauges so this is the temps. I got in the BIOS)

With my new (MOTHER)fan OFF: CPU = 54ēC
System Temp. = 44ēC

With my new fan ON: CPU = 42ēC
System Temp. = 32ēC

With this 12ēC drop, my problem has seemed to stop (has only occured once since then)
------------------------

Thanx for the alternative sollutions, I'll try them.
They may just, in conjunction with the new cooling, have great results. :tazz:

Thanks, again...

Superminyme

Superminyme

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having this bloody VPU recovery problem as well. Here are all my stats:

CPU: AMD64 3500+
Video Card: Radeon 9800 Pro
RAM: 1 Gig of Corsair 2-2-2-5 Ram
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy ZS
PSU: 450 watt OCZ Modstream

Voltages: (not sure which ones to list, so I'll list all what my motherboards program tells me)

VCORE: 1.51
DDRVDD: 2.73
DDRVTT: 1.38
NBVDD: 1.62
SBVDD: 2.59\
HTV: 1.26
AGP: 1.60
5V: 5.17
3.3V: 3.39
5VSB: 5.22
3VDual: 3.35

That's all the voltages I have here. Here are the 3 temps they give me

CPU: 22C
SYS: 28C
PWM:40

These stats were all taken without any games running.

The VPU recovery problem is basically the same as described by downward spiral. I would appreciate VERY VERY MUCH any form of help. I am getting very aggrivated with this problem. I was planning on buying a new guitar, but it looks like I might have to go with a different brand of video card if the problem isn't solved....

Superminyme

Superminyme

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I did that whole thing with the secondary drivers and just got a VPU recovery 20 minutes later while just browsing the net.

Advertisements

Superminyme

Superminyme

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have temporarily fixed my problem. I read on another forum of someone setting the AGP setting to 4X instead of 8X, and this has worked wonderfully. No more odd green glitches in my video files, no more tearing/ripping textures in World of Warcraft (frostwolf server, name is Kerdun if anyone wants to play :tazz: ) and it hasnt VPU recovered in a while. I just wish I knew why 8X wont work. I read that the performace difference is something like 1% or so, so I don't really mind the "loss".

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hey guy's have a look at this guide it may answer a lot of your questions and has some things to try toward the end.

Guide: Lock-ups and Crashes, Video Card and AGP Problems

Rick

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
You guys have inspired me to sign up and post here too. i have the same problem with my diy which has a 9800 pro. ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling omega, and catalyst drivers. but no luck. my gfx only craps out during gaming. i thought it was due to a lack of power because if you've ever forgot to plug in the gfx card to the agp w/out giving it power then you get a similar distortation.

ive spent the last couple days working on this and i remain stunted. if you look up this problem on google. you'll see we're not alone. theres literally hundreds of similar posts, dating back from 2003.
d*** ATI. card is great, when it doesnt have problems. but this is d*** annoying. there arent many solutions out there. the most common one ive been getting, is something about lack of power?

can someone fill me in on how to flash the bios as well as check to see if im getting sufficient power?

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i disabled the secondary driver... mistake??

"fatal error, memory cannot be read..."

bLuE_oMeGa

bLuE_oMeGa

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, I can say that simply enforcing your system with more power won't do the trick. I upgraded my pc from a 300W to a 480W power supply, but the card is still failing. I got it up and running once following dreamslayer's guidelines, but it's still not as rocksolid as it should be.

Reading some forums and posts I came up with five main reasons for this failure. Not enough power, not enough memory, processor not strong enough, badly installed and configured software, bad card.
Since I just gave it a stronger power supply, upgraded my ram up to 1Gb, reconfigured my system and swapped the card with one my dealer showed me it works, I'm thinking of overclocking my processor. I hope that can keep my system up and running rocksolid. I'll keep you guys posted of my findings. In the meantime ... chill and enjoy some sunshine :tazz: