Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 9800 Pro Problems

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I formatted the entire disk and re-installed Win XP. Every thing was finctionning very well (I didin't install the monter board's AGP drivers).

I updated Windows XP and installed the SP 2. The problem occured just after the reboot. It has something to do with SP 2. I downloaded the last drivers form the ATI site, but it didn't solved the problem.

I'm almost sure that the problem has something to do with the AGP driver.

View Post

what kind of motherboard do you have?
try downloading the agp drivers manually

Advertisements

Alireza

Alireza

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've ASROCK motherboard.

I spent whole the night to find a fix to this problem. I think the best solution is to pull the card off and to take it back to where I bought it and change it with another type.

Anybody have a best solution ?

A

blobsta

blobsta

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My motherboard is a Leadtek K7NCR18D - Pro ;)

I may sell my HIS 9800 pro Iceq 128meg as i can't seem to get it stable :)

It's funny as people are saying its great to overclock it !! i can't even get it stable at default settings LOL :tazz:

;) :) :) :)

spronkey

spronkey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am getting the same [bleep] problems.. almost.

I purchased a second-hand R9800p, Sapphire Atlantis 128MB version. This worked fine on the guys system who I bought it from, however it's giving me random restarts and screen blanks both in games and around the desktop.

It's more frequent around the desktop, however - and it's really annoying me because I need stability! I had a GF2 GTS previously installed, but I removed the drivers for that (I think successfully). I've had two errors so far that have been of use (amongst many random restarts and total lockups in desktop and in Q3A and UT - nothing in NFSU or 2d games yet though :S): one was the VPU lockup error, and one was a windows has recovered from a serious problem error, which then gave me a "This was caused by a device driver" error.

I'm running a solid raidmax 420watt PSU, and my hardware is older (XP2000+, Soltek 75KAV+, PC133) so power requirements are lower. Temperatures and voltages are seemingly fine, so I really don't know what is going on.

I don't have AGP8x on my board, so i'm running at 4x. I havn't tried disabling fast-writes yet (that will probably kill my performance seeing as i'm non-DDR) but some people have said that that is a big one... (they worked perfectly with my GF2GTS however...).

I'm pretty certain that this is a software error and not a hardware one - be it with ATi's driver, or VIA's driver. Damnation!

I'm going to keep this thread in my bookmarks now - I posted on the Sapphire forums but didn't really get a good response - it was the usual babble.

I really don't want to have to reformat again [bleep] :@

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

I'm going to keep this thread in my bookmarks now - I posted on the Sapphire forums but didn't really get a good response - it was the usual babble.

I really don't want to have to reformat again [bleep] :@

View Post

My problems are still unresolved, ive posted numerous replies on hear but i have came to the conclusion my M.board is f***** or my g.card is f*****.

Have you read through the whole of this thread? theres alot of advise to try out in hear.

Hope you sort it and welcome to the clan of pissed of radeon card owners!

:tazz:

spronkey

spronkey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I've tried a lot of things. The funny thing is so far, apart from a couple of minor issues my card has been rock solid in games. I ran it through about 4 hours of 1600x1200 4xFSAA 16tap ATF and it had no problems whatsoever, so I don't know what's going on with it :S

My main issue is that I havn't been able to determine exactly what's causing it - it just happens at random. Not cued by heavy loading on ram (seemingly), not cued by heavy disk access, it happens both in windows when CPU is under heavy load and when it isn't, happens in games with utterly varying circumstances..

I've tried most things (except for a total reformat and replacing my power supply - but even at 60% efficiency my PSU should still have ample power), but the problem's still creeping around.

I'll post back with any progress I make.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hey spronkey
your problem sounds like a driver issue.

have you tried the omega drivers yet?
make sure all other hardware is properly installed.

if everything is installed fine, and new updated drivers dont work, start monitoring the temperature of ure processor and gpu.

try installing the drivers from the ati website first.

www.ati.com

and then download the omegadrivers over it
omegadriver.net

hope that helps some
Kalian

uebelgesinnt

uebelgesinnt

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Help Me!!! i to have had this problem and i'm still stomped, but i hoped to shed some light on it. my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro has been gaving me the some problems as everyone else explained. i noticed (so far) it only does it on Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat, and Milkdrop (Winamp Visualization).

here are my stats:

K8USA Dragon Ultra Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.19GHz
DDR400 1GB
550 Watt PSU
Ali Chipset
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with a Dual Monitor setup

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer AWARD_
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2191 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 12/3/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
Total Physical Memory 1,023.48 MB
Available Physical Memory 644.22 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB

now i've try uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them, but nothing. i have had this vid card for about 6 months and i've ran it on Windows ME and not an bit of problems. i changed my file format system to ntfs and installed XP and it's been running fine up untill this last month.

now i noticed something in Control Panal>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>System Tools>Event Viewer>System. there are logs here of around the same time my comp locks up, restarts or crashes to desktop. it's called event 26, and event 26 states under the help and support center for microsoft that:

Application popup: : Machine Check: Regs

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

when clicked it says this:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

another thing noticed is that there is always event 3100 (which is Tcpip6) just before the lock up, ect.

well ponder on this and maybe it will be of some use! Thank You

Mr.Rainbow

Mr.Rainbow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

I have the same problem, I just installed a zalman VF700-Cu cooler on my R350 and start having the problem. I used arctic silver 5 and as the problem advenced I thought there was something wrong with the installation and re did everything. I still have the problem after 20-30 minutes of intense gaming the screen goes black and comes back in 5-10 sec with lower refresh rate (100 to 75) does this for 2 more times and the final one it locks the system. I decreased the AGP to 4x and everything is fine except the 3DMarks score (had 1000 point decrease from 6000 to 5000 :tazz: ) at 8x in 3DMark I have no problem just in WCIII. does any one have a better solution then lowering the agp. Will updating the VGA bios help my Mobo has the latest bios and intel chip set drivers.

Thanks for the help please e-mail me if you have a working solution.

Kalian

Kalian

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
read thru the three pages of post.
try all the suggestions (except for upping the psu. wait for that one).

check and make sure you're aftermarket fan is working at full speed (my arctic cooling came with a speed dongle, with a H and L switch.)

and then see if any of that helped.
and then comment.

alot of us has had to sacrified smartgear by turnning it off and use the default bios agp monitor. try the same.

there is a slight performance difference, but im just guessing ATI expected alot more from the GPUs then they could handle at their OEM settings.

Advertisements

uebelgesinnt

uebelgesinnt

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i remember when i had Windows ME and CS:CZ would freeze up on me when it was precaching resources. i look the problem up and they recommended i downgraded my catalyst to 4.3 (maybe worth a try?). i tried to turn my APG bus down to 4X and in DOD all the graphics blended together, but it didn't freeze.

i was wondering if some one with this same problem could check there Event Viewer>System and see it does the same thing as i explained in my previous post.

thank you

topoisomerasa

topoisomerasa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello
First of all, i'm not come from a english speaking country, and i sorry about my english.
I had the same problem with that graphic card, and i could solved it.
The problem is on the mobo. Sometimes, the chipset is overload with the Radeon 9800 and other powerfull graph. cards. You can "repair" your graphic card going down the Hyper transport bus speed, by BIOS. I put my HT bandwith on 8/16 bits, and 600 mhz (instead of 16/16, 800 Mhz). You can try with other speeds.
Now my system is solidrock, and i can't realize the "lower" bandwith (my score in 3dmark 2001 and 2003, and Aquamark 3 is the same)
Bye and good luck with your radeon 9800!!

PD: It's only for Athlon 64, which is the only processor that works on Hypertrnasport bus

Edited by topoisomerasa, 06 May 2005 - 02:47 AM.

uebelgesinnt

uebelgesinnt

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i'll try stepping down my Hyper transport but i don't think that is the cause of the problem, because i've ran at my highest level in hyper transport ever since i built my computer and my graphics card never gave me this problem up untill a month ago.

uebelgesinnt

uebelgesinnt

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hey guy's have a look at this guide it may answer a lot of your questions and has some things to try toward the end.

Guide: Lock-ups and Crashes, Video Card and AGP Problems

Rick

View Post

i tried stepping down my hyper transport and and the only difference i seen was the game seemed to freeze up quicker then before.

i remember reading the guide doby posted on page 2. there was a part in there about via 4in1 drivers for chipsets and how they conflicted with the agp drivers. i don't have a via chipset but i do have a via network drivers.

now i ran into this guy in a game store and he over heard me talking to my brother about my problem with my computer, and he was telling me he had the same problem with his and it turned out to be his nic card drivers and he told me to disable my nic card and test a game that normally freezes i tried it and my game didn't freeze.

now it has to make sence because in Event Viewer>System right before the time of freeze (which is event 26) there is a tcpip6 (also known as an internet Protocol, which is event 3100)

try testing this thoery out, thank you

mixxster

mixxster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

i tried stepping down my hyper transport and and the only difference i seen was the game seemed to freeze up quicker then before.

i remember reading the guide doby posted on page 2. there was a part in there about via 4in1 drivers for chipsets and how they conflicted with the agp drivers. i don't have a via chipset but i do have a via network drivers.

now i ran into this guy in a game store and he over heard me talking to my brother about my problem with my computer, and he was telling me he had the same problem with his and it turned out to be his nic card drivers and he told me to disable my nic card and test a game that normally freezes i tried it and my game didn't freeze.

now it has to make sence because in Event Viewer>System right before the time of freeze (which is event 26) there is a tcpip6 (also known as an internet Protocol, which is event 3100)

try testing this thoery out, thank you

View Post

;) Help me plz. I have the VIA 4 in one drivers but when i uninstall then, i have no sound. :tazz: The video card freezes with the drivers. Is there anything I can do? Or do i need a mobo or something? ;)