Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help several errors. I have removed malware

• Please log in to reply

Arycama

Arycama

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have done all the malware removal stuff on that start here page. My computer constantly freezes when task manager says the CPU is only used a little bit, and the same with the memory usage. When im playing games it seems to never freeze but if im say on the internet or using word or somthing, it freezes and a blue screen comes up. It either says kernel_data_inpage_error or kernel_stack_inpage_error. And it has numbers and stuff. It mentions filenames sometimes such as atapi.sys, ntfs.sys and portcls.sys. Several times windows has failed to start up after this, but i have managed to repair it using windows recovery console then chkdsk /r.
Also i have registry fix and everytime i scan it there are about 130 errors which it cant fix. They are registry entries with nothing in them, and i cant manually delete them either.
please help me.

I have attached a DMI info text file if you need it.

my computer has a 2.66ghz cpu and 512megs of ram.

Im not sure if i should fix this error before i try what i mention next. Someone tell me. Your help is greatly appreciated. :tazz:

and by the way i want to overclock my cpu slightly, but im not sure how or what to overclock it to. Here is random info about my cpu if some overclocking expert could guide me through this i would greatly appreciate it. :)

Name : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Description: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
Manufacturer : GenuineIntel
Version : Model 2, Stepping 7
DataWidth : 32 Bits
Socket Designation : Socket 478
Type : Central Processor
CPU Id : BFEBFBFF00000F27
CPU Family : Unknown
CPU Stepping : 7
Load Percentage : 2 %
Max ClockSpeed : 2667 MHz
Current ClockSpeed : 2667 MHz
Voltage : 2.7 V
External Clock : 133 MHz
Upgrade Method : ZIF Socket
L2 Cache Size : 0 Kb
Display Availability : Running/Full Power
PowerManagement Supported : false

Attached Files

Edited by Arycama, 18 September 2005 - 03:41 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Use the event viewer to see if it will give a clue as to what the cause is. Go to start, my computer, right click manage and view the event log. Look for those with a red x at the time of the event. To view those, right click properties for details. You can also send a message to M$ and view thier knowledge base for possible cause and solutions.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi Arycama,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

Just wondering has your issue been resolved?

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thankyou for the humble welcome. No my issue has not been resolved. I have looked at the event viewer and there are lots of errors that say many diferent things. Im dont really know much about computers so i dont know what they are. Is there anyway to save a log of it so i can send it here?

Once again any help is appreciated :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Thankyou for the humble welcome.

Please dont ever talk to me like that again.

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Erm ok...sorry, i was just saying thankyou. Anyways back to my problem.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Look at the event viewer, right click properties on one with a red x at the time of the crash or lockup. Does it mention a device, like video or ethernet...any kind of clue?

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ive looked at the event viewer, it has application hang and application errors alot, but in the system log it says a few times

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
DumaNT

I think this is the problem cuz it always appears at the time of the crash.

And that windows error help thing says this

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7026
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action
Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action
Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Once again, any help is greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Edited by Arycama, 22 September 2005 - 07:14 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, appears to be pointing at a driver, but the question is, what driver? Are you able to boot normally at all? If so go to device manager and look for devices with a yellow !. That would be the culprit. If you can't boot normally, try safe mode and then check device manager for the yellow !. This would be the driver you need to update.

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
yeah i can boot normally, none of the devices have a yellow ! thing infront of them, and ive looked at them all and it says this device is functioning properly.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Interesting... Next time it happens, get the complete details of the error message displayed on the blue screen and post it here. This may give a clue.

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok it just happened a second ago, here is the stuff.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you have seen this screen, restart your computer. If it continues to appear follow these steps.

Check to ensure that any new hardware/software is installed correctly. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x000007A (OxCO3E12FC, OxCOOOOOOE, OxP

portcls.sys

Beggining Dump Of Physical Memory
Memory Dump Complete contact your system administrator for further information.

I think thats all of it, as i mentioned before, there are different numbers each time i think and it sometimes has KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR instead of the one here. And where it says portcls.sys it has said atapi.sys or win32.sys or some other ones i cant remember.

And the other night a blue screen came up saying unknown hard error. I hope tat information helps :tazz:

Thankyou for your help

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok....did some google searches. I found
http://www.microsoft...md_stp_fvlq.asp

more possible...do a searh in google for STOP 0x000007A

Arycama

Arycama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok well tat sorta helped i think, now that i think of it we didnt have any blue screens untill we put our new video card in. But we had been having crashes (Where the system cant boot again) many times, which i have usually managed to fix using chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console. (something my friend taught me) While the blue screens can get very annoying, the main thing i hate is when it crashes and we cant repair the problem and we have to reformat it again, and lose e v e r y t h i n g. Could it possibly be a bad hard drive? I have a suspicion that the computer was defective when we bought it, we got it from a place called computer net or summin, and it was on sale, and the video card in it was incompatible with windows xp, so after about a year we found that out, then bought a new one, which still didnt stop the crashes.

Anyways your help is greatly appreciated :tazz:

Oh and by the way different numbers come up in the blue screen, ill write them down.

Edited by Arycama, 27 September 2005 - 04:40 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, now that we have additional insight and suspect possible video driver problem, we can have a run at that. First, make sure you have the current video driver for your video card. If you are not sure what kind of card it is, you can run Belarc Advsisor and it will tell you. You also need to get Driver Cleaner (it is free, get it at http://www.drivercleaner.net/ ) Then, go to add/remove programs and remove the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current driver.