Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports stopped working

• Please log in to reply

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi....
Well to tell you the truth...... I haven't found anyones solutions satisfactory, so I've been waiting for your instructions ONLY. USBMAN is asking me to reinstall XP completely, ans I will lose my programs. I WONT do that.
Ok.........now, I've uninstalled SP2 and that high CPU Usage has gone. But USB problem is still there. So to stop further confusion, lets start from HERE OK? I'll wait for your posts ONLY.

Meanwhile, I've bought a PCI USB card because I need the USB for my printer.

So I'm listening to what you're saying. I don't mind waiting. Let it take time. You take yours. Lets solve this comfortably.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
PCI USB CARD was going to be a suggested FIX - You might need SP-1 for USB Drivers - The Drivers that are usually on the - USB CARD - [INSTALLATION CD] are generally WIN 98 USB DRIVERS - Maybe USB MAN may have USB DRIVER Downloads - WIN 2000 XP -

I am not sure what Printer USB Drivers you were [Reinstalling] - WIN 98 0r WIN2K - After all the gyrations with XP - WIN 98 - SP-1 - SP-2 No SP - That was what I was confused about - You had proper Driver at one time - but you lost it during your [MALWARE] Fix -(I Believe??) but you did a uninstall & I read & re-read your POSTS & I was trying to establish a starting point -

So this is a good starting Point - Since you have a feeling of DAMAGED USB PORTS -

Probably a little late with these suggestions on USB PCI CARD - BUT. . .

(1) - I wanted to be sure you had an OPEN PCI Expansion -

(2) - Make it a 2.0 USB CARD -
(3) - Try to stay away from [ALi] - [VIA] - [SiS] Cotroller MFG -

(4) - Try to obtain NEC Chipset Based -

(5) - USB MAN had Web Site for a Card that was Tested for [KNOWN ISSUES] - http://www.usbman.co...2 pci cards.htm

(6) - Verify BIOS SETTINGS - [PnP / PCI CONFIGURATIONS] that
1- PnP is [ENABLED]
2-[AUTO(ESCD) is [ENABLED]

(7) - Verify BIOS SETTINGS - [INGRATED PERIPHERALS] that
1- USB is [ENABLED]
2- [USB 1.1 + 2.0] - is - [ENABLED]

PS - I have seen other POSTS that XP SP-2 caused problems - Might want to search/browse Microsoft UPDATES for help or This FORUM under [WIN 2K XP]

We will get thru this -
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 24 September 2005 - 10:48 PM.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Uh oh.......... too late......
My PCI USB is a VIA chipset (3038). This is the best that I can get.... But it's working fine, it's USB 2.0 .

Listen
1." EVEN AFTER THE 1ST XP REINSTALLATION (MALWARE ATTACK)AFTER WHICH I LOST SP1 AND MOBO DRIVERS, PRINTER WAS WORKING FINE. IT SUDDENLY STOPPED WORKING."
I hope that is clear.
Next.

If you're confused you have the right to clarify. I have all the time. I can use my printer now.
Ask the questions 1 by one.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB PCI Card Installation Notes/Guidelines:
Date: 27th Sept-2005

GREAT !! Glad to see printer is now working – Would like to see new [EVEREST] Reports on Motherboard – Devices – & Resources – to gain information on VIA Host Controllers – for my USB Knowledge Base –

Also I would like to have a list of the USB Drivers that are on your PC – for same reason –
Now I am not sure where they are located on WIN XP – I use WIN2K-PRO for my OS – but you can use [SEARCH] for [Folders & Files] to locate – they should be similar to:

usbehci.sys – usbhub.sys – ousb2hub.sys – usbd.sys – usbhub20.sys – usbprint.sys – usbport.sys – ousbechi.sys –

1st – Set [FOLDER OPTIONS] to [VIEW HIDDEN FILES]
Go to: – [CONTROL PANEL] > [FOLDER OPTIONS] > [VIEW] Tab – Set To: [SHOW HIDDEN FILES]

2nd – Click [START] > [SEARCH] > Click [for FILES or FOLDERS] – Type in – *usb*.sys – in the [SEARCH for FILES or FOLDERS NAMED] – then press [ENTER] to begin search for [usb.sys] Drivers – This should
list all USB Drivers – (At least it did for me)

Next I would like to know:
1 - The Manufacturer of USB Card
2 - Model Number of USB CARD –
3 - Source of your New USB Card –
4 - How many USB Ports –
5 - Is IEEE 1394 (FIREWIRE) supported also & How many Ports -
6 – What was the INSTALLATION PROCESS of Card – briefly – did you have to load drivers 1st & restart
7 – Did you have to obtain Drivers from [INSTALLATION CD] or did you have them on PC as left over from Service Pack 1
8 – Where did you find USB Printer Driver –
9 – Did you try to use any of Internal USB Ports with printer –

I am interested in USB – and would like to learn from your experiences – My knowledge is limited to reading & searching internet – And of course my own experiences – I started with a USB Scanner – and have added 2 USB Hard Drives – Modem – San Disk 8 in 1 Memory Reader – 2 Iomega Zip Drives – Digital Camera – Palm Docking Station – Several HUBS – External USB Card (Ali – Was USB newbee) – Plus a Wide Carriage Printer with both LPT & USB Interface, which I use LPT for normal printing & USB for Drawings – I have placed both as ICONS on Task Bar so I can quickly set either for default printer -

Your USB problem is typical: [Was working & then all of a sudden – It is not] – The trick is to find what happened between the [Was Working] & [Now not working] – This is generally due to an Update – Upgrade – or addition of another USB Component – or Loss of Data – I have to play 20 questions or Jeopardy – I probably have the answers – I just don’t know the question to match it too –

I am glad to have chatted with you – Looks as if you have a great future!! – Just keep focused – Always have a recovery plan 1st – And only do 1 change at a time -

Hope that I was able to give you some insight on USB & some guidance –
Good Luck
Jack123

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Topic: USB PCI Card Installation Notes/Guidelines:
Date: 27th Sept-2005

GREAT !!  Glad to see printer is now working – Would like to see new [EVEREST] Reports on Motherboard –  Devices – & Resources – to gain information on VIA Host Controllers – for my USB Knowledge Base –

Also I would like to have a list of the USB Drivers that are on your PC – for same reason –
Now I am not sure where they are located on WIN XP – I use WIN2K-PRO for my OS – but you can use [SEARCH] for [Folders & Files] to locate – they should be similar to:

usbehci.sys – usbhub.sys – ousb2hub.sys – usbd.sys – usbhub20.sys – usbprint.sys – usbport.sys – ousbechi.sys –

1st – Set [FOLDER OPTIONS] to [VIEW HIDDEN FILES]
Go to: – [CONTROL PANEL] > [FOLDER OPTIONS] > [VIEW] Tab – Set To: [SHOW HIDDEN FILES]

2nd – Click [START] > [SEARCH] > Click [for FILES or FOLDERS] – Type in – *usb*.sys – in the [SEARCH for FILES or FOLDERS NAMED] – then press [ENTER] to begin search for [usb.sys] Drivers – This should
list all USB Drivers – (At least it did for me)

Next I would like to know:
1 - The Manufacturer of USB CardIntex texhnologies (indian co.), VIA is printed on the chip, no installation CD, no documentation. Installed automatically on cousins comp, as VIA 3038 (win 98SE). On mine, I had to select USB controller, selected as VIA rev 5 or later. I don't know whether its correct or not, but it's working fine
2 - Model Number of USB CARD –  nothing printed
3 - Source of your New USB Card –
4 - How many USB Ports – 2
5 - Is IEEE 1394 (FIREWIRE) supported also & How many Ports - NO
6 – What was the INSTALLATION PROCESS of Card – briefly – did you have to load drivers 1st & restart
7 – Did you have to obtain Drivers from [INSTALLATION CD] or did you have them on PC as left over from Service Pack 1from my current installation, no CD provided
8 – Where did you find USB Printer Driver – followed printer installation procedure..... maybe must have come from printer CD
9 – Did you try to use any of Internal USB Ports with printer – Tried to, but no response again

When I plug in a USB device, it's always supposed to detect something. This is what has stopped on my internal ports. This is fine on the new PCI card

I am interested in USB – and  would like to learn from your experiences – My knowledge is limited to reading & searching internet – And of course my own experiences – I started with a USB Scanner – and have added 2 USB Hard Drives – Modem – San Disk 8 in 1 Memory Reader – 2 Iomega Zip Drives – Digital Camera – Palm Docking Station – Several HUBS – External USB Card (Ali – Was USB newbee) – Plus a Wide Carriage Printer  with both LPT & USB Interface, which I use LPT for normal printing & USB for Drawings – I have placed both as ICONS on Task Bar so I can quickly set either for default printer - 

Your USB problem is typical: [Was working & then all of a sudden – It is not] – The trick is to find what happened between the [Was Working] & [Now not working] –

Only thing that  comes to my mind is the attempt to update mobo drivers. The  readme said " SP1 is a minimum req. Without SP1, USB 2.0 will not work.
Now,
1. The drivers didn't install at all...... setup didn't make any changes.....this is a documented problem , website says SP1 is a must FOR INSTALL.

2. My mobo doesn't support USB 2.0, so it shouldn't make a difference

3. I have tried updating the mobo drivers before, and even after failure, everything worked fine.

This is generally due to an Update – Upgrade – or addition of another USB Component – or Loss of Data – I have to play 20 questions or Jeopardy – I probably have the answers – I just don’t know the question to match it too –

I am glad to have chatted with you – Looks as if you have a great future!! – Just keep focused – Always have a recovery plan 1st – And only do 1 change at a time -

Hope that I was able to give you some insight on USB & some guidance –
Good Luck
Jack123

View Post

[/COLOR]

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Everest reports

I've found several usb system files...... by searching *usb*.sys

How do i list them here?

Attached Files

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Also, I came across a VIA website, that troubleshoots "USB suddenly stops working, won't work at all" Please see. I can't find the link.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Also, I came across a VIA website, that troubleshoots "USB suddenly stops working, won't work at all" Please see. I can't find the link.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
a

Edited by thepiper, 29 September 2005 - 06:37 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- [Have Device Manager show Hidden Devices] –
Date- 30th Sept-2005
Poster- Piper

Here is a method/process to use [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [HIDDEN DEVICES]

But 1st we have to PREP [DEVICE MANAGER] using: (This [Prep Process] – is only required to do – this 1 time only) – unless a change to the [ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLES] has been made –

[DEVICE MANAGER] – Hidden Device Driver Prep Process – (1 time only process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –

Next time you can open [DEVICE MANAGER] as you had always done before - Just set [VIEW] to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES] – This [Viewing Process] needs to be performed for - Every Viewing of [DEVICE MANAGER] –

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [HARDWARE] Tab –
(3) – Click [DEVICE MANAGER] – Tab – Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices]
(4) – [DEVICE MANAGER] should show [Hidden Device Drivers] – (Faded gray in color)
(5) – Start your Browsing & Viewing – Close as Usual – But repeat step (3) on each opening –

When using [DEVICE MANAGER] – You have to Double Left Click and./or Right Click each line to expand – to see properties – You want to use the [DRIVER] Tab on Properties Page to UNINSTALL the Hidden Devices

The [HIDDEN DEVICE] will be recognized by – Faded Light Gray Print – Leave the Bold Printed Devices installed –

Take a look at USB Host Controllers with [DEVICE MANAGER] & post back a brief summary of what you find – Look at Old USB & New USB CARD

The USB Files – you found –Give me name of folder – generally just give me a list relating to printer- will say usbprinter.sys or similar – What you can do - so you will have a list of drivers – In case you loose/uninstall SP1 or 2 or whatever – copy that folder to another folder or burn a CD- so you can reinstall old drivers that worked – in case you get an UPDATE that messes you up – in the future –

Most of your usb drivers are CLASS Type – They are different but have similar names – USB STANDARDS control them so each printer does not have there own – They have but the STANDARDS pretty much puts the device in a CLASS & calls a printer a printer – It should be easy – but the HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE makes this way to difficult -

Anyways – Let me know how many [HIDDEN DEVICES] you discover – I think that this is a good tool – to be able to look at them -

Hope USB Printer is still working
Jack 123

Edited by Jack123, 01 October 2005 - 10:37 PM.

Advertisements

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
AhA!!!!!!!! I found an unknown device (Question mark) in gray.......
Now what do I do?

Other's are the same.... ie:- old USB drivers and new PCI drivers all are there.......intact.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: [Unknown Devices]
Date: 5th Oct-2005

Verify that all peripherals are connected 1st – (So you do not delete a Place Marker/Holder) – See below –

Try to investigate what it is – Note what Folder is the [Unknown Device] under – Double Click the [Unknown Device] – this should bring the [Properties] Page up – Click on [Driver] Tab – See if any info is shown – Click on [Driver Details} – See name of [Driver] – Is it a USB Driver – Just look for clues –

Now start a Daily Notebook on PC –

(1) – Enter Date & Time of [Start Up] –
(2) – Record events as you observe them – such as – Prepped [Device Manager] to show [Non present Devices] –
(3) Found [Unknown Device] – under [Folder Name] – [Driver Type] – [Driver Name] – [Other Details] –

Now after you find out what you can about this device and recorded – Click on [Uninstall Driver] to [Delete] & Record Deletion in Notebook – Now I do a [Restart]

(1) – To complete the uninstall
(2) – To establish a Recovery Point – Record in Notebook –

Record all [Windows Updates] & events that occur – This way you have events recorded whenever a problem occurs – Now you might ask why do this when my PC already has an [Event Recorder] – Well yes – but if you can’t [Start] – you can’t review the [Event Log] –

This [Unknown Device] will show up again – Now you will have a little more info on it – then eventually you will know what it is – Usually they are –

(1) – [Incorrect Drivers] that were trying to be installed – and did not have matching Hardware
(2) – It is the [Driver] remains of an old [Uninstalled Application or Hardware]
(3) – It is the result of a [Power Failure/Shutdown] during the Installation Process
(4) – The result of losing Power to a USB Hard Drive or USB Camera during data transfer

So if you had been keeping a log/notebook – You would know -

Now if you have any USB [Non present Devices] – Make sure you have all your USB Devices connected and know they are functioning – Then you can start deleting [Non present Devices] – 1st start with [Devices] – [HUBS] – [Root Hubs] – and finally the [Controllers] – do a restart to complete the deletion – Make entry in Notebook –

The purpose of these – [Non Present Devices] – is to be a [Place Holder/Marker] for USB Devices that you do not keep Connected/Powered at all times – Like a [Printer] - So that when you do turn it ON – PnP does not [Find New Hardware] and have to do a [Install Printer] each & every time you Turn Printer ON – It just merely Turns On & acts normal –

Now whenever you install a new USB device and it does not install correctly on 1st attempt – you now have tool to see if a [Non present] entry occurred – and a method of deleting – Usually I find that – If you simply disconnect the device & do a [Restart] and wait until Windows is Running – Then simply connect USB Device – then PnP will find the [New Device] – and installs ok – Just needed the 2nd Restart – You just installed the [Place Holder] – Sometimes I think that there is a [RACE] between [Driver Installation] & [PnP] Starting -

I knew that these things were happening – but did not know how to view them – Now you made me find a method –

You had done so many things – that by the time I came on the scene – I was not able to [Define Issue] – That is 1st Step in the [Troubleshooting Process] – I knew that there was more done than what initial post indicated – That is [Normal] – If you could [Define Problem] – Then you probably would not have the problem –

Also my method is to supply info so that you understand - and let you fix the problem – I am just the navigator – My Goals are:

(1) - To convert [Stumbling Blocks] into [Stepping Stones]
(2) – To Find [Root Cause]

Give me an [Status Update] on USB Issues –

(1) – Is printer working
(2) – Is new USB PCI Card working
(3) – How about old VIA USB on Motherboard – Working or still malfunctioning

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 October 2005 - 01:14 PM.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
am out of town for sometime.... please bear

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i'm back

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
These hidden devices are like skeletons in your closet........ every device I had ever connected to my computer are listed here..... so I better be careful...... an unknown devices could be something I'd connected ages ago.